Black & Gold by the Numbers: April 10April 10, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Columbus Crew SC
Goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum was nominated for "Save of the Week" after another noteworthy save in last Saturday's match against Philadelphia. The Crew 'keeper has been nominated for the weekly award now three times through five games in 2013. Gruenebaum is one of just two players to be nominated three times already this season, joining D.C. United's Bill Hamid.
The Black & Gold took just a single corner kick on Saturday against Philadelphia. The team had previously averaged 5.75 per game, with Federico Higuain leading the team with 21 of the team's first 23. Higuain took the lone corner kick on Saturday. Philadelphia had seven corners to the Crew's one, it was the first time this season in which the Black & Gold took fewer corner kicks than their opponents.
Through five games in 2013, the Crew has a +3 goal differential (8 goals for, 5 against). That goal differential ranks third in MLS behind Sporting KC (+4) and LA (+5). One season ago through five contests, the Black & Gold conceded seven goals while only scoring four, posting a -3 goal differential.
Four Crew players have played all 450 minutes of the 2013 campaign thus far: Andy Gruenebaum, Chad Marshall, Tyson Wahl, and Josh Williams. Brazilian centerback Glauber sits just outside of the group with 449 minutes played.
The Crew has only allowed five goals this season in the team's first five matches, giving the club a 1.00 goals against average. That mark is good for a three-way tie for fifth in MLS with D.C. United and Real Salt Lake. Saturday's opponent, Montreal, sits in fourth with a 0.80 goals against average while Sporting KC and New England share the lead with an average of 0.50 goals against per game.
Major League Soccer Stories from April 10, 2013
- LA Galaxy Foundation and Herbalife Family Foundation Combine to Help Provide Proper Nutrition for Mo - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Revolution Looks to Alston for Inspiration - New England Revolution
- Black & Gold by the Numbers: April 10 - Columbus Crew SC
- Celebrity Bartending Event to Benefit AIDS Walk Central - Columbus Crew SC
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Revs Announce Affiliation with PDL's Real Boston Rams - New England Revolution
- WRGW to Broadcast D.C. United's "College Night" Game against New York - D.C. United
- CCL: LA Galaxy Goal Is Simple to Landon Donovan - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Heat Tests the LA Galaxy Before Second Leg in Mexico - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Gonzalez Makes His Return to "The City in the Mountains" - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.