Hillcats Blank Pelicans for Fourth Straight WinApril 10, 2013 - Carolina League (CarL) Lynchburg Hillcats
For the second straight game the Hillcats (4-1) led from start to finish, scoring a pair of runs in the bottom of the first. Matt Lipka and Ross Heffley led off the inning with back-to-back singles. After Lipka picked up his third steal of the season, Beckwith grounded out to first allowing Lipka to score the games first run. Kubitza followed up with a double to chase home Heffley and provide some insurance.
That was plenty for the Hillcats pitching staff. David Peterson, in his first start and second appearance of the season, went 4.2 shutout innings that included a stretch of ten straight hitters retired and allowed just two hits while striking out five.
James Hoyt (1-0) got the win after coming on with two on and two out in the fifth. Hoyt went 2.1 innings without allowing a hit. He walked one and struck out three. Matt Chaffee pitched a perfect eighth and Nate Hyatt hit a batter in the ninth but retired the other three hitters he faced to close out the ball game.
Skinner went deep to lead off the third inning, the Hillcats league-leading eighth team home run, adding to the lead. A bases loaded walk to Beckwith drove in the Hillcats fourth run in the fifth inning. It was Beckwith's second RBI of the game and team-high seventh of the season.
Myrtle Beach (2-3) starter Nick Martinez was charged with all four runs. Martinez (0-1) went 4.1 innings and allowed four earned runs on four hits while walking two and striking out three.
The Hillcats look for the sweep in the series finale Thursday at City Stadium. First pitch is set for 6:05pm with gates opening at 5pm. Hillcat ace Navery Moore (0-1, 37.80) makes his second start of the season, taking on RHP Luke Jackson (0-0, 4.50) for Myrtle Beach. It's the first Theme Thursday of the 2013 season, Video Game Night. Fans dressed in video game apparel will get half-off admission. If you can't make it to the ballpark, join Erik Wilson and Jake Levy for the live play-by-play broadcast starting with the Hillcats On-Deck Show powered by Honda/Suzuki of Lynchburg at 5:40pm on the Hillcats flagship station 97.9 FM The Planet and online at lynchburg-hillcats.com.
Carolina League Stories from April 10, 2013
- Hawkins Homers Dash Past Keys - Frederick Keys
- Hawkins Clubs Two Homers in Dash Victory - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans' Bats Stymied in 4-0 Defeat - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Despite Ray's Quality Start, P-Nats Drop Rubber Match to Salem 7-2 - Potomac Nationals
- Mudcats Dizzy Blue Rocks - Carolina Mudcats
- Hillcats Blank Pelicans for Fourth Straight Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Renfroe Leads Salem Past Potomac 7-2 - Salem Red Sox
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (april 10 At Frederick) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Salem Red Sox to Dedicate 2013 Season to the Fans - Salem Red Sox
- Salem Red Sox Game Notes - Salem Red Sox
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Keys Suffer First Loss, Fall to Dash 5-4 in Extras - Frederick Keys
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.