Suns Take Advantage of BlueClaws Miscues in 6-3 WinApril 9, 2013 - South Atlantic League (SAL) - Hagerstown Suns Press Release
The Suns got on the board in a hurry, putting up four runs in the top of the first inning. The second batter of the game, 3B Mike McQuillan, belted a two-run homer over the right field wall for the team's second long ball of the season. Two batters later, RF Brandon Miller doubled on a ground ball to left field. That was followed by a single to left by 1B Carlos Lopez, which drove Miller home for the third run of the frame. The final run of the inning scored when catcher Craig Manuel hit an RBI groundout to first.
The Suns added to their lead with a run each in the second and third thanks to BlueClaws miscues. In the second LF Estarlin Martinez reached base thanks to a throwing error by SS Roman Quinn, which allowed 2B Tony Renda to score from second. In the third Lopez led off the frame with a double to left. He crossed the plate when Manuel reached on a fielding error by 2B Angelo Mora.
Lakewood put up its first run in the bottom of the third without recording a hit. Center fielder Carlos Tocci led off the frame by striking out swinging, but a third strike wild pitch allowed Tocci to reach first. Following a walk and a groundout, Tocci was able to score from third on a groundout to third by Quinn.
Quinn was responsible for the final two BlueClaws runs in the bottom of the seventh, when he turned a fly ball to center field into an inside-the-park homerun. It was Quinn's first homerun of the season and the second hit against Hagerstown this year.
RHP Dixon Anderson (1-0) got the start and picked up the win for the Suns. He pitched six innings, allowing one earned run on four hits, walking one and striking out five. RHP Jordan Guth (0-2) suffered the loss after allowing all six Hagerstown runs in five innings, though only two of the runs were earned. Guth walked one batter and struck out three. RHP David Fischer picked up the save for the Suns, pitching the final three innings and allowing two earned runs on three hits.
The Suns wrap-up their three game series with Lakewood on Wednesday April 10. Hagerstown will send RHP Blake Schwartz (1-0) to the mound for his first start of the season. He will square off against RHP Josh Warner (0-0) for Lakewood. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35pm.
South Atlantic League Stories from April 9, 2013
- Tourists Snap Skid with 4-3 Win in 13 - Asheville Tourists
- Asheville Gets by Legends in 13, 4-3 - Lexington Legends
- Power Falters in Extras - West Virginia Power
- Five Run First Dooms Braves - Rome Braves
- Suns Take Advantage of BlueClaws Miscues in 6-3 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Homers Doom 'Dads in 5-3 Loss - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Scorch BlueClaws 6-3 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Drive Power Way to 5-3 Win over Crawdads - Greenville Drive
- $15,000 Raised in Restore the Shore Jersey Auction - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Bob Seger Tribute Night this Thursday - Kannapolis Intimidators
- WV Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Special Edition Thirsty Tuesday Tonight at L.P. Frans - Hickory Crawdads
- TNA Wrestling Coming to Charleston - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Tops Lakewood in Extras - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.