Sea Dogs Honor over 1,200 Students for ReadingApril 9, 2013 - Eastern League (EL) - Portland Sea Dogs Press Release
In the fall, Slugger the Sea Dog issued a reading challenge to Maine students to read five books above and beyond any required school reading. Any student who successfully completed the challenge would receive a ticket to a Sea Dogs game where they would be honored in a pre-game ceremony.
Over 50 schools throughout Maine participated with 1,213 students completing the challenge. Students will be honored at the following Sea Dogs games; Sunday, April 7th vs. Trenton, Tuesday, April 9th vs. Reading, and Wednesday, April 24th vs. Binghamton.
The Sea Dogs have also made a financial contribution to the three schools with the highest rate of students who successfully completed the challenge. Frank H. Harrison Middle School in Yarmouth had the highest completion rate at 96.8% and received a $1000.00 donation from the Sea Dogs. Dirigo Middle School ranked second with a 95% completion rate and will receive a $500.00 donation. Rounding out the top three was the Tremont Consolidated School with a 76.8% completion rate and will receive a $250.00 donation from the Portland Sea Dogs.
Slugger's Reading Challenge was presented by Maine's Public Universities System.
"The Portland Sea Dogs are committed to promoting education and reading within our community," stated Sea Dogs General Manager Geoff Iacuessa. "We are proud that so many students successfully completed Slugger's Reading Challenge, we look forward to honoring them at a game."
Book your nine inning vacation. Tickets for all 2013 Portland Sea Dogs' home games are available and can be purchased by calling the Sea Dogs Ticket Office at 207-879-9500 or online at www.seadogs.com .
Eastern League Stories from April 9, 2013
- Lambo Hits for Natural Cycle as Curve Rolls to 14-6 Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Lambo Joins Curve History Books with Franchise's First Cycle - Altoona Curve
- SeaWolves Outduel Mets 2-1 - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Give Squirrels a Taste of Their Own Medicine, 8-7 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Baysox Rally to Ground Flying Squirrels - Bowie Baysox
- Early Offense Not Enough in B-Mets 2-1 Loss - Binghamton Mets
- Bibens-Dirkx Shines, But Fisher Cats Fall 5-1 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Stevenson, Cotham Help Thunder Top Cats, 5-1 - Trenton Thunder
- Rock Cats to Honor First Responders in Ceremony on Thursday for Home Opener - New Britain Rock Cats
- Tuesday's Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- B-Mets Game Notes: Binghamton Mets at Erie SeaWolves - Binghamton Mets
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 9 vs. Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Honor over 1,200 Students for Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Hire Dennis Meehan as Executive Director of Ticket Sales - Portland Sea Dogs
- Additional Promotions Announced for 2013 Season - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.