Chivas USA Routs Cal FC, 5-1, in ScrimmageApril 5, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- The Red-and-White got out to an early lead, as BolaÃÂ±os and Laurent Courtois worked a combination play on the left wing that resulted in BolaÃÂ±os beating Cal FC goalkeeper Isiah Castro to his left to take a 1-0 advantage in the seventh minute. The Goats nearly doubled their score in the 12th minute when right back Emilio Orozco sent a pass over the top down the right sideline to forward Julio Morales, who crossed the ball to BolaÃÂ±os inside the box. Starting the match at forward, BolaÃÂ±os got off a clean shot but was denied by Castro.
- Chivas USA Head Coach Jose Luis Sanchez Sola "Chelis" made 10 substitutions to start the second half, most of who are regular starters. Of the 11 that started the match, goalkeeper Dan Kennedy, center back Joaquin Velazquez and midfielder Marvin Iraheta were the only players with four appearances or more in the regular season.
- In the 63rd minute, Bowen knocked in his first of three goals when he cashed in a penalty kick awarded to the Goats a minute earlier when midfielder Jorge VillafaÃÂ±a was taken down on the left side of the box with a tackle. Bowen lined up and sent a low shot passed substitute goalkeeper Adrian Topete-s right side to put Chivas USA up 2-0.
- A minute later, Bowen put his side up by three when he led a fast break on the right seam unassisted. As the forward neared the box, Topete came off his line to meet the attack, leaving the net exposed and allowing Bowen to send a chip shot over the keeper for the score.
- In the 75th minute, Casillas worked the ball toward the arc and laid the ball off to Carlos Alvarez inside box. Alvarez, with his back to the goal, turned to his left toward the right post and slotted a pass to the cutting Casillas, who beat Topete with a short tap in to take a commanding 4-0 lead.
- Chivas USA found its fourth second-half goal and went up 5-0 in the 78th minute on Bowen's third goal. Midfielder Eric Avila received the ball on the right wing and made a solo play into the right side of the box and sent a pass to Bowen, who made his cut near the short area for the tap-in score to put the exclamation point on his side's goal performance for the day. Caceraes put his side on the board in the 88th minute with an assist from Osiris Saligan on a set piece for the 5-1 result.
Chivas USA currently sits in second place in the Western Conference and has the weekend off from MLS competition. The Rojiblancos return to league play on April 13 and look to extend their unbeaten streak to five when they host conference rival the Colorado Rapids at The Home Depot Center starting at 7:30 p.m. (PT). The match can be heard in Spanish on W Radio 690 AM. For more information please visit cdchivasusa.com . Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa .
Major League Soccer Stories from April 5, 2013
- Arena Says Juninho Is "Doing Fine" After Injury - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Youth Academy Returns to Bell Gardens - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Defender Aron Mkungilwa with Canada U17 - Montreal Impact
- Chivas USA Routs Cal FC, 5-1, in Scrimmage - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting Club and U.S. Soccer to Study Kansas City, Kan. for National Training and Coaching Developm - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Match Preview: Crew vs. Union - Columbus Crew SC
- Houston Dynamo Midfielder Alex Dixon Loaned to Tampa Bay Rowdies - Houston Dynamo
- RSL Set for 2nd Leg of Rocky Mountain Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Philadelphia Union Youth Academy Join US Soccer Development Academy to Announce Academy Coaching Hir - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Club Launches the Victory Project to Help Children with Cancer in KC - Sporting Kansas City
- Black & Gold by the Numbers: April 5 - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.