Cubs Add Sweeney, Murphy for Opening DayApril 4, 2013 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Iowa Cubs
For Sweeney, the signing brings the Cedar Rapids native back to Iowa for the first time in his pro career. The Chicago White Sox drafted Sweeney in the second round of the 2003 draft out of Xavier High School and he made his major league debut withe Sox in 2006. Sweeney has a .280 career average with 14 homers and 185 RBI in 535 career major league games with the White Sox (2006-08), Oakland (2009-11), and Boston (2012). Sweeney had been in spring training with the Red Sox, but was released on March 30. Sweeney has not played in the minor leagues, other than injury rehab, since 2007.
Murphy also brings major league experience and Iowa ties to the Cubs. Murphy has played in 244 major league games with Kansas City (2004-05), Oakland (2007-08), and the Florida/Miami Marlins (2010-12) and has a career .205 average with 18 homers and 82 RBI. Murphy split last season between the Marlins and triple-A New Orleans and hit .302 with 13 homers and 25 RBI in 33 games with the Zephyrs. The Royals drafted Murphy in the fifth round of the 2002 draft out of Orange Coast (CA) Community College. In 2003, he was the Player of the Year for single-A Burlington (IA), hitting .313 and setting a franchise record with 98 RBI. Murphy was in spring training with the Milwaukee Brewers, but requested his release on March 27.
Tonight's game is scheduled for 7:35 Central time with LH Chris Rusin slated to take the mound for Iowa. The game will be broadcast live on AM 940 and streamed live at iowacubs.com. Iowa's home opener will be on Friday, April 12 against the Isotopes at 7:05 at Principal Park. The gates will open at 5:35 for a Mediacom Fireworks Friday.
The Cubs are hosting an Open House at Principal Park on Saturday, April 6 from 10am-2pm. Fans are invited to tour the newly renovated home and visiting clubhouses. Attendees will receive a free hot dog, chips, and soft drink at the Cub Club Restaurant and receive a ticket to a 2013 Iowa Cubs game.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 4, 2013
- Nolan Arenado Homers But Sky Sox Fall to Reno in Opener 5-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Express Gets Win in Season Opener - Round Rock Express
- Davidson's Homer Pushes Reno to Season-Opening Victory - Reno Aces
- Z's Fall in Opener - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Morris Powers Sounds to Win in Season Opener - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Season Opener Postponed - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Issue City Check for over $1.5 Million - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Cubs Add Sweeney, Murphy for Opening Day - Iowa Cubs
- PCL Announces 2013 Hall of Fame Class; Includes Former Sky Sox Catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- RedHawks Game Notes: April 4, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox, Springs Rescue Mission, Golf Pro Greg & the Broadmoor Announce New Partnership - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- PCL Announces 2013 Hall of Fame Class - PCL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.