Seattle Sounders FC Tipped by Santos Laguna 1-0April 3, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Seattle Sounders FC Press Release
In the 54th minute, Carlos Quintero's shot from the top of the box was stopped by a diving Marcus Hahnemann, but Gomez rocketed the rebound into the top right corner of the net to put Santos up 1-0. It was Gomez's fourth goal in three career games against Sounders FC after scoring three times in the 2011-12 CCL Quarterfinals.
Despite not scoring, Seattle finished with 13 shots-including nine in the second half-and held the majority of possession, finishing with an 11-1 advantage in corner kicks.
In the 20th minute, a deep free kick found Brad Evans in the box, but his header was saved by Santos keeper Oswaldo Sanchez. Moments before the Santos goal, Osvaldo Alonso got off an open shot from the top of the box that was saved, and in the 86th minute Mario Martinez's cross found Zach Scott for a header from 10 yards out that went right to the keeper.
Goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann made his 2013 debut, starting in place Michael Gspurning, who was suspended due to yellow card accumulation. It marked the second appearance of the tournament for Hahnemann, who started in Seattle's 3-1 home win over CD Marathon in the group stage on October 24, 2012.
Shalrie Joseph made his Sounders FC debut tonight with a start at midfield. The 11-year MLS veteran was acquired via trade from Chivas USA on February 19.
The second leg of the series will be held next Tuesday, April 9, at Estadio Corona in Torreon, Mexico. Kickoff is at 5 p.m. PT and will be broadcast nationally on FOX Soccer.
Major League Soccer Stories from April 3, 2013
- Chicago Fire to Host Third Annual Art of Futbol Event - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Midfielder Kevin Harbottle to Miss 4-6 Weeks with Knee Injury - Colorado Rapids
- Mike Magee Named MLS Player of the Month - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Aaron Horton Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Update - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United Loans Goalkeeper Andrew Dykstra to the Richmond Kickers - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Children's Book Now Available on eBook - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rio Tinto Stadium Sells out June 18 USMNT World Cup Qualifier - Real Salt Lake
- Robbie Keane Fit and Ready for CCL Clash against Monterrey - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC Manager Peter Vermes Voted into National Soccer Hall of Fame - Sporting Kansas City
- Wahl Holding Down Left Back Spot - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Mike Magee Voted MLS Player of the Month - MLS
- Thorns FC Single-Game Tickets Go on Sale Thursday - Portland Timbers
- Shuttleworth Steps into the Breach - New England Revolution
- Fagundez Finally Earns a Starting Berth - New England Revolution
- Individual Tickets for All Dynamo Home Games Through July 6 Now on Sale - Houston Dynamo
- Seattle Sounders FC Tipped by Santos Laguna 1-0 - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.