Chivas USA Defeats Vancouver, 2-1, to Extend Unbeaten Streak to FourMarch 31, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- The Rojiblancos took their earliest lead of the season in the off a strike from midfielder Carlos Alvarez in the 12th minute from the left wing near the top of the 18-yard box. The rookie's shot deflected off a Vancouver defender near the short area and went past goalkeeper Joe Cannon's right for the 1-0 advantage.
- The Red-and-White nearly went up a second goal in the 21st minute when Juan Agudelo received a pass inside the box, and with a defender battling the forward for ball possession, laid the ball off to the right side of the box to a cutting Avila, whose strike sailed wide right into the side netting. A minute later, left back Bobby Burling had a dangerous look at goal on the end of a corner kick. Burling got a header on the entry and sent it toward the left post, but Cannon got a hand on the attempt.
- Chivas USA continued to knock on the door throughout the first half and looked to extend its lead. In the 24th minute, midfielder Edgar "Chore" Mejia unleashed a strike from about 30 yards out that bounced just wide left of the post. In the 40th minute, midfielder Jorge Villafaña - making his first start of the season - won a fifty-fifty challenge and served an outlet pass to Tristan Bowen down the left seam. The forward pushed the ball up field and sent a low cross to a cutting Jose Correa near the short area. But Correa's sliding attempt could not connect with the cross, and the pass went through untouched.
- Chivas USA took a 2-0 lead in the 50th minute on Avila's tremendous strike from about 15 yards out. Villafaña sent a high cross from outside the left side of the box toward Avila, who was left unmarked inside the right side of the box. As the volley approached, the midfielder squared up and sent his right-footed strike before the pass even touched the ground and beat Cannon to his right and inside the left post. The assist was Villafaña's second of the season and second in as many games.
- Vancouver cut the lead to 2-1 in the 64th minute on the rebound of a Dan Kennedy save. The Red-and-White goalkeeper made a diving stop to his right on Erik Hurtado's strike. Miller headed-in the loose ball from inside the box for his second goal of the season.
- With regulation time ticking away, Kennedy came up with a huge stop in the 89th minute. The Red-and-White captain came far off his line to meet Kekuta Manneh, who was on a solo breakaway with right back Mario de Luna closing in from behind. Kennedy met Manneh near the arc and broke up the threat, preserving the 2-1 victory for the home side.
Chivas USA has the following weekend off from MLS competition and will return to league play on April 13 when it hosts Western Conference rival the Colorado Rapids at The Home Depot Center starting at 7:30 p.m. (PT). The match can be heard in Spanish on W Radio 690 AM. For more information please visit cdchivasusa.com . Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 31, 2013
- Timbers Reserves Fall 1-0 to Rapids Reserves on the Road - Portland Timbers
- Miller scores but comeback effort falls short at the HDC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- First-Half Goals from Findley & Gil Give RSL Victory in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA Defeats Vancouver, 2-1, to Extend Unbeaten Streak to Four - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Thorns FC Defeat University of Portland 2-1 - Portland Timbers
- Houston blanks Earthquakes - Houston Dynamo
- Seattle loses to Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Fall 2-0 on Road against Houston Dynamo - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.