Thorns FC Defeat University of Portland 2-1March 31, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Portland Timbers Press Release
Trailing 1-0 at halftime, Thorns FC responded with two unanswered goals. Foxhoven, a former University of Portland forward and the program's fourth all-time leading scorer, slotted home the equalizer through heavy traffic in the 52nd minute.
Second-half substitute forward Jessica Shufelt took the initial shot from the top of the box that Pilots goalkeeper Nichole Downing, a second-half substitute, parried off the left post. Foxhoven collected the rebound and placed a ball into the goal through a group of Pilots defenders.
Midfielder Allie Long delivered the game-winning goal for Thorns FC in the 73rd minute, taking a deflected pass from midfielder Nikki Washington and placing a well-struck shot inside the left post from the top of the box. Long tallied four shots in the match, including two shots on goal.
Playing without the club's National Team allocation players, Thorns FC controlled much of the possession throughout the match, recording 23 shots (14 on goal). Foxhoven and former University of Portland midfielder Angie Kerr finished with a team-high three shots on goal.
University of Portland forward Amanda Frisbie gave the Pilots a 1-0 lead against the run of play in the 30th minute, when the junior latched onto a long ball from Lorielle McCluskie through the Thorns FC defense and managed a chipped shot that beat oncoming goalkeeper Roxanne Barker.
Goalkeepers Barker and Aline Reis, who played the entire second half, recorded one save apiece for Thorns FC.
The Pilots had a chance to level the score in the 90th minute when Reis' clearance deflected off forward Micaela Capelle and bounced back into the box. Capelle, a junior from Gresham, Ore., was unable to score as Reis and a Thorns FC defender raced back to cut down the shooting angle.
Thorns FC kicks off the inaugural National Women's Soccer League season on Saturday, April 13, on the road against FC Kansas City at Shawnee Mission District Stadium.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 31, 2013
- Timbers Reserves Fall 1-0 to Rapids Reserves on the Road - Portland Timbers
- Miller scores but comeback effort falls short at the HDC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- First-Half Goals from Findley & Gil Give RSL Victory in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA Defeats Vancouver, 2-1, to Extend Unbeaten Streak to Four - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Thorns FC Defeat University of Portland 2-1 - Portland Timbers
- Houston blanks Earthquakes - Houston Dynamo
- Seattle loses to Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Fall 2-0 on Road against Houston Dynamo - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.