Houston blanks EarthquakesMarch 31, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Houston Dynamo
Will Bruin scored his first goal of the season and Giles Barnes scored for the second consecutive game as the Dynamo turned a 2-0 halftime lead into a win over last year's Supporters' Shield winners to remain unbeaten at BBVA Compass Stadium.
Real Salt Lake's 34-game streak was set from 2009-11. The Dynamo last lost a competitive home game on June 18, 2011.
The Dynamo (3-1-0; 9 points) are in second place in the Eastern Conference, trailing the Montreal Impact (4-1-0, 12 points) by three points.
Bruin, who set a franchise record with 16 goals last season, scored his first goal of the 2013 season in the 17th minute. Boniek Garcia settled a ball near the corner and slipped around Justin Morrow before sliding a pass in front of the penalty spot, where Bruin finished for a 1-0 Houston lead.
It was Bruin's 22nd goal in all competitions with the Dynamo to tie Stuart Holden for fourth on the franchise list.
It was Garcia's first assist of the season after the Honduran had six assists in 17 games last year.
Barnes added to his goal total a week after providing the equalizer in a 2-1 win over Vancouver. The English midfielder made a darting run from the top of the box and met a perfectly placed cross from Brad Davis with a brave header past onrushing San Jose goalkeeper Jon Busch for a 2-0 advantage.
It was the 75th regular season assist with the Dynamo for Davis, the club's all-time assist leader.
Both teams had chances to score in the second half, including a header from Bobby Boswell (49th minute) and a close-range chance for San Jose's Chris Wondolowski (68th minute).
Later, in second half stoppage time, Wondolowski headed a cross from Sam Cronin off the post. On the ensuing counter attack, Brian Ching led the break before feeding Cam Weaver in the box, who forced a strong save from Busch.
Garcia played 90 minutes for the 26th consecutive time in an MLS game.
The Dynamo will traval to Portland for next Saturday's meeting with the Portland Timbers. Kickoff from Jeld-Wen Field is at 9:30 p.m. CT
Major League Soccer Stories from March 31, 2013
- Timbers Reserves Fall 1-0 to Rapids Reserves on the Road - Portland Timbers
- Miller scores but comeback effort falls short at the HDC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- First-Half Goals from Findley & Gil Give RSL Victory in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA Defeats Vancouver, 2-1, to Extend Unbeaten Streak to Four - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Thorns FC Defeat University of Portland 2-1 - Portland Timbers
- Houston blanks Earthquakes - Houston Dynamo
- Seattle loses to Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Fall 2-0 on Road against Houston Dynamo - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.