Chicago Fire Drop 1-0 Decision to Minnesota United FC in FriendlyMarch 29, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Chicago Fire
The Fire saw their closest scoring chance in the 17th minute. Wells Thompson won the ball on the right flank, muscled off his defender and swung a cross over to Sherjill MacDonald on the left side of the pitch. MacDonald took a touch and played a square ball to Maicon Santos at the top of the 6-yard box but the Brazilian's volley clanged off the crossbar.
The Fire continued to press and in the 21st minute, Corben Bone stole the ball inside the center circle and turned towards goal. The fourth-year midfielder sliced through the Minnesota defense and unleashed a shot from just inside the 18-yard box that curved wide.
Maintaining the lion's share of possession throughout the half, the Men in Red again threatened in the 35th minute. Thompson won the ball on the right flank and played the ball up the line to Patrick Nyarko. The fleet-footed Ghanaian found Santos at the top of the box. Santos laid the ball off to Rolfe but his shot went just wide of the post.
Following halftime, the Fire came out strong as they continued to search for the opening goal. In the 52nd minute, Thompson found MacDonald in the center of the pitch. The Dutchman played the ball in to the path of 2013 MLS SuperDraft pick Yazid Atouba, who was streaking down the touchline. Atouba drove in a cross to Santos at the top of the six yard box but his header was just off frame.
The visitors notched the only goal of the match in the 72nd minute when Miguel Ibarra pounced on a loose ball, dribbled into the Fire's 18-yard box and slipped the ball under Fire 'keeper Alec Kann.
In the 93rd minute, Fire trialist Leo Lelis was shown a red card for a tactical foul on the Minnesota United FC's Miguel Ibarra who was heading in towards goal.
The Men in Red return to MLS action when they host the New York Red Bulls on Sunday, April 7 at 4:00 p.m. CT (ESPN2/La Ley 107.9). Chicago Fire tickets are available by calling 1-888-MLS-Fire, via Ticketmaster or by heading to the club's official website at Chicago-Fire.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 29, 2013
- Galaxy Seek to Break Nelsen's Gritty Toronto FC - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC Hosts First Place Montreal on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bulls Waive Forward Josue Martinez - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Look to Equal MLS Home Unbeaten Streak Record Tomorrow Night against San Jose Earthquakes - Houston Dynamo
- Dynamo Partner with Texas Children's Health Plan for Family Section at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- FC Dallas Comes to Town for Inter-Conference Clash - New England Revolution
- Toronto FC Waive Midfielder César - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: RSL V. Seattle Sounders FC - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy's Landon Donovan Could Return to Team During CCL - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chicago Fire Drop 1-0 Decision to Minnesota United FC in Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Nearly All Player Slots Filled for SueÃ±o MLS 2013 - MLS
- Preview: Impact Takes on Sporting KC at Sporting Park this Saturday - Montreal Impact
- March Results Set Table for Success in 2013 - Columbus Crew SC
- McCullers Sets Sights on Bigger Things in 2013 - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.