Dynamo win over Whitecaps FCMarch 24, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Houston Dynamo
With the win, the Dynamo extended their home unbeaten streak to 33 games in all competitions (including Champions League and playoffs). It is the second-longest streak in league history, one shy of Real Salt Lake's record 34-game streak from 2009-11. The Dynamo can equal RSL's record next Saturday when they host the San Jose Earthquakes.
The Dynamo earned the win with starting roles for Andrew Driver, Eric Brunner and Creavalle, who started their first regular season game this campaign in place of midfielders Brad Davis and Boniek Garcia and defender Jermaine Taylor. The three were unavailable due to international duty for this week's World Cup qualifiers.
Vancouver striker Darren Mattocks opened the scoring in the 36th minute. The Jamaican received a pass from Erik Hurtado, turned and cracked a shot from 25 yards into the upper corner for a 1-0 'Caps lead.
The Dynamo had several scoring chances in the first half, including opportunities for Ricardo Clark, Giles Barnes and a pair for Creavalle, but could not find the net.
Houston's fortunes changed in the 55th minute when Barnes completed a nice buildup with a great goal. Ricardo Clark received a pass near the corner of the penalty area and chipped a pinpoint pass to Barnes, who rose between two defenders to drive a strong header into the side of the net for an equalizing goal.
It was Barnes' first regular season goal after joining the Dynamo last August.
It was Clark's tenth career assist in all competitions with the Dynamo to reach tenth on the franchise list.
The Dynamo secured the game-winning goal seven minutes later. Adam Moffat drove a corner kick to the middle of the six-yard box and Will Bruin settled the ball before in rolled near Creavalle, who slid to reach the ball and slot it home from four yards.
It was Creavalle's first professional goal in his sixth career regular season start.
Moments before Barnes' equalizing goal, Dynamo goalkeeper Tally Hall kept Houston within a goal with a point-blank save on Mattocks.
Hall later benefited from two fortunate bounces off his goal frame in the 82nd minute. Vancouver substitute Camilo Sanvezzo curled a beautiful free kick 30 yards from goal that struck the inside of both posts and bounced away from goal for the closest of misses.
It was Clark's 150th career game in all competitions with the Dynamo.
Defender Corey Ashe started and played 90 minutes to surpass 10,000 regular season minutes in his career.
Defender Bobby Boswell captained the Dynamo in his 225th career regular season start.
Hall earned the win in his 75th career regular season start.
The Dynamo will face the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday at BBVA Compass Stadium. Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. CT and tickets are available at HoustonDynamo.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 24, 2013
- Chivas USA Routs Chicago, 4-1, on the Road - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Fall 4-1 to Chivas USA - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Train Ahead of Nationally Televised Match vs. New York Red Bulls - Philadelphia Union
- Registration Opens Today for SueÃ±o MLS 2013 - MLS
- Impact Wins First Reserve League Game 3-0 over Red Bulls - Montreal Impact
- Galaxy Return to Winning Form in "Dominating" Victory over Rapids - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Dynamo win over Whitecaps FC - Houston Dynamo
- Galaxy win 1-0 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Card Dooms Bad Luck Rapids - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC fall to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Wondolowski Winner Sends San Jose Earthquakes Past Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Loses 2-0 at FC Dallas - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Remains Perfect at Home with 2-0 Win over Real Salt Lake - FC Dallas
- Mattocks scores, but 'Caps lose first match of the season - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.