Galaxy win 1-0March 24, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Los Angeles Galaxy Press Release
Mike Magee converted from the spot in the 50th minute, after Drew Moor was ejected for an off-the-ball elbow into Marcelo Sarvas' face, and the Galaxy (2-0-1) pulled one point ahead of Vancouver and FC Dallas with a performance far more dominant than the score suggests.
The Rapids (0-3-1) had already lost two starters to injury -- captain Pablo Mastroeni with a quadriceps strain after halting a Colin Clark run in the 23rd minute, and center back Diego Calderon, who bruised his right quad crashing into the right post after clearing a Jose Villarreal shot off the line in the 32nd -- before Moor, just inside the box, leveled Sarvas.
Referee Armando Villarreal consulted linesman Corey Rockwell before pointing to the spot and pulling out the red card, with Moor already headed toward the locker room.
The Galaxy, with forward Robbie Keane and center back Omar Gonzalez away on international duty, paired teenage forwards Villarreal and Jack McBean, and they caused havoc for Colorado's defense and were on the end of nearly a dozen chances between them.
The best were Villarreal's sharp third-minute header from a corner kick, which Irwin dived to deny, and his chip just outside the box from A.J. DeLaGarza's long ball that was goal-bound until Calderon caught up with it near the goal line.
Irwin, in the net in place of injured Matt Pickens, also did well to parry McBean's 10th-minute blast after Sarvas intercepted a Moor pass, and McBean's header from Sean Franklin's short cross in the 36th minute. McBean, making his second career MLS start and fifth league appearance in three seasons, also had chances in the 29th (headed wide) and 86th (delayed his shot and was smothered by Irwin) minutes.
Mastroeni was returning from a hamstring injury sustained two weeks ago against Philadelphia, but he went down after tackling the ball away from Clark and came off four minutes later.
Rapids coach Oscar Pareja used up his substitutes by the 52nd minute, when he inserted Shane O'Neill for Kevin Harbottle after Moor's ejection. Colorado, which sits last in the West, created few chances -- it was outshot, 21-5 -- rarely got into LA's box and tested Galaxy goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini only from long range.
Powered By WizardRSS.com | Full Text RSS Feed | Amazon Plugin Wordpress | Android Forums | Wordpress Tutorials
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions
Major League Soccer Stories from March 24, 2013
- Chivas USA Routs Chicago, 4-1, on the Road - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Fall 4-1 to Chivas USA - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Train Ahead of Nationally Televised Match vs. New York Red Bulls - Philadelphia Union
- Registration Opens Today for SueÃ±o MLS 2013 - MLS
- Impact Wins First Reserve League Game 3-0 over Red Bulls - Montreal Impact
- Galaxy Return to Winning Form in "Dominating" Victory over Rapids - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Dynamo win over Whitecaps FC - Houston Dynamo
- Galaxy win 1-0 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Card Dooms Bad Luck Rapids - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC fall to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Wondolowski Winner Sends San Jose Earthquakes Past Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Loses 2-0 at FC Dallas - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Remains Perfect at Home with 2-0 Win over Real Salt Lake - FC Dallas
- Mattocks scores, but 'Caps lose first match of the season - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.