Sporting KC Returns to Road at New England on SaturdayMarch 22, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Sporting Kansas City
The team's official Watch Party will be held in the Boulevard Members Club at Sporting Park on Saturday with food and drink specials, including 12-ounce Boulevard Pilsners for $3. Doors will open at 2 p.m. CT and parking is available in Lot D .
Sporting Kansas City is 22-13-10 against the Revolution all-time, having recorded more wins against New England than any other opposing club in team history. On the road, Sporting KC is 11-7-5 in the series with 39 goals scored in Foxboro, Mass., the most goals for the club in any city other than Kansas City.
Sporting KC and the New England Revolution met three times during the 2012 season with Sporting Kansas City earning two wins and a draw en route to outscoring their Eastern Conference counterpart by a combined 4-0 scoreline. Sporting Kansas City is 7-3-4 at Gillette Stadium, earning a 1-0 victory in their most recent visit in August 2012.
New England striker Jerry Bengtson will miss his second straight meeting between the clubs at Gillette Stadium due to international competition, previously playing in the 2012 Summer Olympics and currently participating in FIFA World Cup Qualifiers with Honduras. Bengtson scored the Revs lone goal of the 2013 season in a 1-0 victory at Chicago.
Sporting Kansas City defender Matt Besler and playmaker Graham Zusi will also miss tomorrow's match while with the United States Men's National Team for FIFA World Cup Qualifying. The U.S. MNT takes on Costa Rica tonight at 9 p.m. CT on ESPN, WatchESPN and UniMas.
One year after Sporting Kansas City hosted New England in their 2012 home opener, the Revolution welcome Sporting KC to Gillette Stadium on Saturday for their first home match of 2013 as the final MLS team to open their home schedule. Heading into Saturday's match, MLS teams have gone 7-6-5 in home openers to date.
Sporting Kansas City has played three matches thus far in 2013, earning a 1-1-1 record to start the season and having a match in hand to the Revolution's 1-1-0 start. Three weeks into the season, both clubs have shared similar schedules with matches against the Chicago Fire and Philadelphia Union.
Sporting KC opened the 2013 season with a 3-1 victory over the Union and are coming off a scoreless draw against the Fire last week. The Revolution also opened the season with a road win, defeating Chicago 1-0 at Toyota Park, before dropping a 1-0 decision at PPL Park against Philadelphia last Saturday.
The New England Revolution were active during the offseason, picking up 11 players and releasing eight, including Benny Feilhaber in a trade to Sporting Kansas City. Offseason signings Jose Goncalves (on loan from FC Sion) and Andrew Farrell (selected first overall in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft) have each started and played the full 90 minutes on the Revolution backline in their first two matches of the 2013 season.
Sporting Kansas City supporters can follow the match online via @SKCGameday on Twitter and the MLSSoccer.com MatchCenter, or on mobile devices with the MLS MatchDay app . Additionally, fans outside the local viewing area can watch live on Direct Kick and MLS LIVE .
Saturday will be the first of two meetings between the clubs during the 2013 MLS regular season with the return match scheduled for August 10 at Sporting Park.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 22, 2013
- Dynamo Look to Extend Home Unbeaten Streak Tomorrow against Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Houston Dynamo
- Without Gonzalez and Keane, LA Galaxy Ready for Challenge from Banged-Up Colorado - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Game Notes: Chivas USA at Chicago Fire - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Returns to Road at New England on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United's 11th Annual Kick-Off Luncheon Raises Close to $30k - D.C. United
- Impact Plays the New York Red Bulls Saturday at 4:30pm at Olympic Stadium - Montreal Impact
- Injured Revs Working Towards Return - New England Revolution
- Home Slate Begins Saturday against Sporting KC - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Hosts Real Salt Lake Saturday at FC Dallas Stadium - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Signs Fairclough and Lund - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: RSL at FC Dallas - Real Salt Lake
- Red Bulls Sign Two-Time MLS Cup Winning Goalkeeper Kevin Hartman - New York Red Bulls
- BBVA Compass Stadium to Participate in Earth Hour this Saturday as Part of the AEG1EARTH Initiative - Houston Dynamo
- Houston Dynamo Midfielder Brian Ownby Loaned to Richmond Kickers - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.