Nguyen: "We Want to be a Fortress" at HomeMarch 21, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - New England Revolution
That will be rectified on Saturday afternoon when the Revolution hosts Sporting Kansas City at Gillette Stadium, where the Revs aim to establish themselves as one of the league's strongest home sides in 2013.
"It's really important to do well at home," said goalkeeper Matt Reis, who's hoping to return for the home opener after missing last weekend's trip to Philadelphia. "We'd really like to win as many games as we can at home. It really helps us in the long run because it's harder to play on the road. Conversely, we want to make it really difficult for teams to come in here and play."
After compiling a league-worst 4-7-6 home record in 2011, the Revs improved to 7-4-6 at Gillette Stadium in their first year under head coach Jay Heaps. Better at both ends of the field, the Revs increased their home goal-scoring total from 17 (2011) to 23 (2012), while they lowered their goals against from 24 (2011) to 15 (2012).
But the Revs want to be even better at home in 2013. Last year the league's top 10 teams all finished with a home win total somewhere between 10 and 12, making double-digit home victories a clear benchmark for teams with postseason aspirations.
"It's really crucial," Lee Nguyen said of home form. "If we can win [at home], it's going to be a lot easier for us to make the playoffs. It's going to be a lot harder to get points away from home. We want to be a fortress here."
"It is what it is on the road," added Heaps. "You have to prepare yourself to play in different environments and travel to get there. At home, there's definitely a comfort level, but there's also a level of intensity that has to be represented when you're defending your home field."
Major League Soccer Stories from March 21, 2013
- Galaxy Game with Montreal Impact Moved to October 16 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA's April 7 Match at Seattle Moved to September 4 - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Nguyen: "We Want to be a Fortress" at Home - New England Revolution
- Date Change: Sounders FC to Host Chivas USA on September 4 - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Moves Regular Season Games for CCL Semifinalists LA Galaxy and Seattle Sounders FC - MLS
- Impact Game Versus La Galaxy Rescheduled for October 16 - Montreal Impact
- FC Dallas Inks Midfielder Ramon Nunez and Homegrown Goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez - FC Dallas
- Chivas USA's Kickoff Time Change for May 12 - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Timbers Announce Kickoff Time Change for May 12 Match - Portland Timbers
- D.C. United Summer Camps Open for Registration - D.C. United
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Fines New England's Toja and Chivas USA's Fleita - MLS
- Rio Tinto Stadium to Host U.S. v Honduras World Cup Qualifier June 18 - Real Salt Lake
- President Obama to Honor MLS Cup Champion LA Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- CenturyLink Field to Host World Cup Qualifier on June 11 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sporting Park to Host U.S. Men's National Team in FIFA World Cup Qualifier on October 11 - Sporting Kansas City