Rock Raise $41,000 for Toronto's Daily Bread Food BankMarch 13, 2013 - National Lacrosse League (NLL) - Toronto Rock
The post-game live charity game-worn jersey auction yielded $15,000 alone with captain Colin Doyle's jersey going for $1,400. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment donated one dollar for every ticket the Rock sold to Friday's game towards the charity. There was also an online auction of autographed Toronto 3rd jersey's by Rock legends like Jim Veltman, Bob Watson and Dan Ladouceur.
The Rock's fundraising also included proceeds from the evening's 50/50 draw which was run by three local minor lacrosse organizations in Mimico, the Toronto Beaches and the Toronto Stars.
Those donations ran the tally to just over $31,000. The Rock had hoped to sell out the building and Rock Owner and President Jamie Dawick had pledged to donate another $25,000 to Daily Bread if the game was sold out. Unfortunately, the game did not sell out, but Dawick is going to donate another $10,000 out of his own pocket to bring the total to just over $41,000.
"The support of our fans never ceases to amaze me," said Dawick. "We were able to raise and great deal of money and collect almost 3,000 pounds of food to help the hungry in Toronto. We made a good run at filling the building, and after visiting the Daily Bread Food Bank in person last week and seeing the volunteers in action and the hard work they put in on a daily basis, I truly wanted to make another personal donation and top up our fundraising efforts with an additional $10,000 donation."
Previously, the Toronto Rock and Sunnybrook Foundation teamed up to "Black Out Breast Cancer" in both 2010 and 2011. The Rock were able to raise in excess of $65,000 for Sunnybrook Foundation and the team will have an Examination Room named in their honour at the new Sunnybrook BreastCancer Centre slated to open soon. In 2012, the Rock raised just over $33,000 for the Canadian Forces Military Families Fund.
As for the action on the floor, Toronto will hit the road this weekend for a game in Philadelphia against the Wings at 1pm at the Wells Fargo Center. The Rock will be back at home on Sunday, March 24th against Edmonton at 3pm at Air Canada Centre when it will be Toronto Sun Autograph Day. For the best ticket in town, visit www.torontorock.com or call 416-596-3075.
National Lacrosse League Stories from March 13, 2013
- Stealth's Richards tapped again for NLL Defensive Player of Week - Washington Stealth
- Philadelphia Wings Offer Fans Exclusive St. Paddy's Day Package - Philadelphia Wings
- Roughnecks Sign Nick Patterson to Practice Roster - Calgary Roughnecks
- Rush Take on Rochester in Title Rematch - Edmonton Rush
- Trade Deadline Passes with No Deals - Edmonton Rush
- Dobbie Named Offensive Player of the Week - Calgary Roughnecks
- Knighthawks Acquire Purves from Buffalo - Rochester Knighthawks
- Goaltender Belanger Named NLL Rookie of the Week - Colorado Mammoth
- Wings Put Luck of the Irish on Their Side - Philadelphia Wings
- Jesse Gamble Named Transition Player of the Week - Toronto Rock
- Dobbie, Gamble, Richards, Belanger Honored - NLL
- Rock Raise $41,000 for Toronto's Daily Bread Food Bank - Toronto Rock
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.