Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Las Vegas WranglersMarch 9, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) - Stockton Thunder Press Release
TIME: 7:30 p.m.
SITE: Stockton Arena
RADIO: 1280 AM KWSX/StocktonThunder.com (America One)/92.5 FM (in house feed)
Stockton Thunder: Edmonton Oilers
Las Vegas Wranglers Independent
HOME GAME PROMOTIONAL NOTES
Tonight's Promotion: THUNDER'S EASY BEING GREEN/GIRL SCOUT NIGHT (presented by Port of Stockton California with California Water Service Company, The Solar Company, KAT Country 103, 99.3 KJOY, 97.7/98.3 KWIN and The Surtec System)
National Anthem Singer: Fat City Four
Public Address Announcer: DJ Walker
In-Arena Emcee: "Hot Rod"
NEXT HOME GAME
Sunday, Mar. 10 vs. Ontario Reign (4:00 p.m.)
FAMILY DAY (presented by Sutter Gould, Farmers Insurance, and 99.3 KJOY)
The Stockton Thunder faces the Las Vegas Wranglers tonight in a rematch of last night's battle at Stockton Arena. Friday, Maxime Boisclair's three points paced the Thunder to a 4-3 win over the Wranglers. Tonight's contest will wrap the Thunder's season series against the Wranglers (the Thunder holds a 4-0-3 record against Las Vegas this season). However, this could be a possible playoff preview, as Stockton (fourth place in the Western Conference) and Las Vegas (tied for fifth) could meet in the first round of the 2013 Kelly Cup Playoffs.
2012-13 Head to Head Schedule: (4-0-3)
Fri. Oct. 19 Stockton 2 at Las Vegas 3 (OT)
Sat. Oct. 20 Stockton 5 at Las Vegas 4
Tue. Dec. 4 Las Vegas 1 at Stockton 3
Wed. Dec. 5 Las Vegas 0 at Stockton 1
Sat. Dec. 8 Stockton 3 at Las Vegas 4 (SO)
Sat. Dec. 29 Las Vegas 3 at Stockton 2 (OT)
Fri. Mar. 8 Las Vegas 3 at Stockton 4
Sat. Mar. 9 Las Vegas 7:30 p.m.
NOTE OF THE NIGHT
The Thunder is 16-3-3 when leading after one period this season.
LAST THREE GAMES:
STK 4 - LV 3 (3/8/13): The Stockton Thunder (31-23-9, 71 points) held off a late rally by the Las Vegas Wranglers (30-26-5, 65 points) to secure a 4-3 win in front of 4,456 fans at Stockton Arena on Friday. The Thunder was paced by forward Maxime Boisclair, who finished with a goal and three points. Defenseman Mike Little, forward Garet Hunt, and defenseman Brandon Davidson also found the back of the net for the Thunder. Forward Matt Reber recorded two assists.
ONT 4 - STK 3 (3/3/13 ): Kyle Kraemer's goal in the third period ended an offensive flurry lasting for nearly three minutes, enough for the Ontario Reign to hold off the Stockton Thunder (30-23-5, 78 points), 4-3 in front of 6,124 fans at Stockton Arena on Sunday. Both teams split the home and home series which featured the Thunder nearly coming back from a 3-0 deficit in the third period. Stockton's power play - ranking third in the ECHL at the game's start - was held to an 0-of-9 effort. Shawn Weller was also stopped on a penalty shot in the third period.
STK 3 - ONT 2 (SO) (3/2/13): Shawn Weller broke a 2-2 tie in the final round of a shootout and scored on a fancy backhanded deke to lift the Stockton Thunder (30-22-9, 69 points) to a 3-2 shootout win over the Ontario Reign before 9,616 fans at Citizens Business Bank Arena on Saturday. The Thunder, who came back from a 2-1 deficit after the first period, were aided by goaltender Tyler Bunz's 33 saves. He won his first set of back to back games since Dec. 27-28.
- Garet Hunt is 1 point away from 100 in his ECHL career
- Shawn Weller is 10 games away from 100 in his ECHL career
ARCOBELLO MAKES IT NINE
On Feb. 6, former Thunder forward Mark Arcobello became the ninth player to make his debut in the National Hockey League after appearing in a Thunder uniform (2010-11). Arcobello suited up for the Edmonton Oilers in a game at Rexall Place against the Dallas Stars and recorded two blocked shots. Before his debut, Arcobello had 39 points in 43 American Hockey League games with the Oklahoma City Barons. He earned 20 points in 33 games with the Thunder and was named Most Valuable Player of the 2011 ECHL All-Star Classic in Bakersfield as a representative of Stockton. He had a hat trick and became the eighth player in All-Star Classic history to score at least three goals in one game.
Those to play in Stockton and then make their debut in the NHL are:
- (C) Mark Arcobello
- (RW) Troy Bodie
- (G) Devan Dubnyk
- (C) Milan Kytnar
- (RW) Colin McDonald
- (C) Ryan O'Marra
- (C) Tim Sestito
- (LW) Liam Reddox
- (D) Bryan Young
The Thunder was boosted by recent additions to their lineup with defenseman Brandon Davidson assigned to the team from Oklahoma City on Feb. 12 and defenseman Nathan Deck reassigned from Oklahoma City last Wednesday. Both Davidson and Deck are tied for second (behind Philippe Cornet) for the Thunder with a +7 rating.
DAVIDSON: Davidson, an Oilers sixth round selection in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, had a career high 13 goals in 69 games last season with Regina (WHL) and added 49 points (3rd in team scoring), earning a selection on the WHL Second All-Star Team (Eastern Conference). Davidson has 11 points in 10 games so far with the Thunder.
DECK: Deck, who spent 19 games with the Thunder before being called up to Oklahoma City earlier this season, earned five goals and 16 total points at the time of his return. Deck earned the Thunder's "Unsung Hero" award while ranking second among Thunder defenseman with 26 points in 60 games in his rookie campaign last season. Deck was named as a starter for the 2013 ECHL All-Star Classic.
HOME SWEET HOME
The Thunder has made Stockton Arena ideal for home ice advantage this season with a record of 19-8-3. Below is a look at key figures for the Thunder at home this season:
At home this season, the Thunder has:
- A record of 19-8-3
- Totaled 13 games of scoring four goals or more
- Outshot the opposition 16 times this season
- Posted 20 games of 30 shots on goal or more
- Collected at least one power play goal in 17 of the last 20 games
THE DEFENSE DOESN'T REST
During the month of February, the Thunder defense has limited opponents to three goals or less in each of the seven games featuring a win or shootout loss (Feb. 9 at Alaska - 3-2 shootout loss). The Thunder defense allowed just two goals or less in five of the previous seven games.
ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL(ER)
Thunder forward Shawn Weller has collected five points in the last seven games and had the shootout winning goal on Saturday in Ontario. Weller, a former captain of Bakersfield and South Carolina and an ECHL All-Star in 2010, was acquired by the Thunder from South Carolina on Jan. 25 in exchange for defenseman Cameron Brodie and future considerations.
OH CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN
Garet Hunt was named the sixth captain in Thunder history on Oct. 12, taking the "C" for the first time in his career for full-time duty. Hunt served as an alternate captain for the Thunder last season and has helped guide the team to the playoffs for four straight seasons since his 2008-09 rookie campaign. Hunt is the Thunder all-time leader with 305 games played.
2012-13 MEDIA GUIDE AVAILABLE ONLINE
The Stockton Thunder 2012-13 media guide is available online in .pdf form at http://www.stocktonthunder.com/team/history/. The guide can be accessed by following the link and clicking "2012-2013 Media Guide."
ECHL Stories from March 9, 2013
- Aces Rout Bulls 6-2 to Finish off Sweep - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Dropped by Aces, 6-2 - San Francisco Bulls
- Grizzlies Beat Colorado 5-4 - Utah Grizzlies
- Domingue Authors 40-Save Blanking of Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Domingue, Gladiators Blank Idaho 2-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Grizzlies Hold on for 5-4 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Cyclones Demolish IceMen, 5-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Kalamazoo Defeats Toledo 5-3 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Solar Bears Battle Back from Multiple Deficits to Earn Point against Jackals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Jackals Outlast the Solar Bears Win a Wild Game in OT In Front of a Sellout Crowd - Elmira Jackals
- Wheeling Extends Point Streak to Six - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - March 9 - ECHL
- Zapolski Leads Stingrays Past Road Warriors - South Carolina Stingrays
- Road Warriors Lose Fourth Straight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign at Bakersfield Condors - Ontario Reign
- Condors vs. Ontario - Bobbleheads Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Royals Sign Defenseman Nathan Martine - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Las Vegas Wranglers - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Complete Season Series against the Aces - San Francisco Bulls
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Elmira Jackals - March 9 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings vs Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Evansville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Justin Courtnall Returns from Providence - South Carolina Stingrays
- Stingrays Stage Comeback, Defeat Road Warriors 3-2 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Game Preview: Faith and Fun Night Tonight vs. Road Warriors - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - March 9 - ECHL
- Aces Beat Bulls 3-2 in Another Wild Finish - Alaska Aces
- Reign Fall 4-2 to Condors - Ontario Reign
- Condors Double up Ontario, Edge Closer in Playoff Race - Bakersfield Condors
- Boisclair's three points help Thunder to crucial win over Wranglers - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Outlast Wranglers, Win 4-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.