Crunch Fall to the Marlies 6-3March 6, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Syracuse Crunch Press Release
Syracuse outshot Toronto 43 to 19 but Marlies' goaltender Drew MacIntyre made 40 saves and Toronto scored three power-play goals to beat Syracuse. The Crunch only capitalized on one of its seven power-play chances.
The loss dropped the Syracuse Crunch's overall record to 34-17-3-4 and marked the first time that the Crunch have lost four consecutive games this season.
Philip-Michael Devos opened the scoring for the Crunch 5:32 into the first period. With 30 seconds left on a 4-on-3 power play, Devos scored off the rebound from a shot by Brett Connolly. Matt Taormina also assisted on the play.
Ryan Hamilton tied the game for the Marlies at the 9:55 mark of the first period. After an initial sliding save by Helenius, Hamilton stuffed the puck past the Crunch goaltender. Mike Zigomanis and Jake Gardiner assisted on the goal.
The Crunch and Marlies ended the first period by trading 4-on-4 goals. With just over five minutes to go in the period, J.T. Brown one-timed a pass from Dana Tyrell from the slot to give the Crunch a 2-1 lead. Less than a minute later, Spencer Abbott evened the score with a shot from the glove-side circle that beat Helenius. Gardiner and Joe Colborne assisted on the play.
The Marlies opened the second period with two quick goals. Paul Ranger gave Toronto the lead just 1:31 into the period after a feed from Colborne and Zigomanis. A minute later, Blaker extended the Marlies' lead to 4-2. The goal, assisted by D'Amigo and Ryan, chased Helenius from the game. Crunch goaltender Pat Nagle made his AHL debut after replacing Helenius, who allowed four goals on seven shots.
Abbott scored his second goal of the afternoon at the 7:24 mark of the second period. Hamilton skated the puck down the right wing and passed it back to Ranger, who sent it across the ice to Abbott for the power-play goal. The goal was the only one Nagle allowed on 11 shots.
The Marlies and Crunch ended the third period with a goal apiece. Hamilton's empty net goal capped off the Marlies' scoring with 2:35 left in the period. Hamilton's second goal of the game was assisted by Ryan and McKegg. Alex Hutchings ended the afternoon's scoring at the 18:27 mark of the third period with a goal from the left wing side.
Philip-Michael Devos' goal in the first period was his first since Nov. 30...With his assist on Alex Hutchings' goal, Devos had his first multi-point game of the season...Brett Connolly has 17 points in his last 17 games... Today is only the third time that Syracuse has lost in regulation after scoring first (28-3-2-1)
American Hockey League Stories from March 6, 2013
- Monarchs Big Weal Keeps on Turning - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Earn Point in Comeback against Charlotte - Norfolk Admirals
- Gragnani's Overtime Goal Sinks Norfolk - Charlotte Checkers
- Monarchs Beat Sound Tigers 3-2 in Overtime - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blackhawks Assign Bollig to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- "Purple Community Game" Kicks off Busy Weekend for Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons 'irish Night' Jerseys Go On The Auction Block Wednesday Night - Springfield Falcons
- Amerks Ready for First Three-In-Three Stretch of the Season this Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Coyotes Sign Defenseman Mathieu Brisebois to Entry-Level Contract - Portland Pirates
- Marlies Drop Crunch in Front of Sold out Crowd - Toronto Marlies
- Drazenovic, Dainton Rejoin Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Fall to the Marlies 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Bears Release Forward Evan Barlow - Hershey Bears
- Flames Reassign Danny Taylor and Activate Mikka Kiprusoff from Injured Reserve - Abbotsford Heat
- Rangers Claim Defenseman Roman Hamrlik off Waivers - Connecticut Whale
- Wellwood Returned to ADK - Adirondack Phantoms
- Blues Sign Prospects Edmundson and Veilleux - Peoria Rivermen
- Francis Wathier Called up to Dallas - Texas Stars
- B-Sens Announce Roster Moves - Binghamton Senators
- Bartley Recalled by Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Recall Shawn Szydlowski from Fort Worth - Rochester Americans
- Blues Recall Goaltender Jake Allen - Peoria Rivermen
- Phantoms Weekly - Weekend Homestand - Adirondack Phantoms
- Heat Defeated by Bulldogs to Open Road Trip - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.