Chandler Hoffman Ready for a Fresh Start with the GalaxyMarch 5, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Los Angeles Galaxy Press Release
The 13th overall selection in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft joined the LA Galaxy last week in a deal that sent him back to Southern California in exchange for a conditional 2014 MLS SuperDraft selection.
Last season, the forward out of UCLA struggled to find time with the Union in his first season with the club, but he joins a Galaxy team that he is quite familiar with. Hoffman trained with the club for two summers following his freshman and sophomore years with UCLA and he believes that understanding will only help him as he adapts to a new opportunity.
"I had an honest conversation with [Union head coach John] Hackworth and felt where I stood on the team and we both thought it would be in the best interest of the team if the move me," said Hoffman, who scored 29 goals in three years at UCLA. "Obviously, I knew Bruce from training here and playing at UCLA. It's an incredible opportunity here with more matches with Champions League and learning from Robbie, then Landon when he comes back, and obviously being in a great environment so I'm excited about the opportunity.
The situation in Philadelphia was hardly a pleasant one for Hoffman, who was reduced to a reserve role in his rookie season. Hoffman made just seven appearances with the first team coupled with nine appearances in Reserve League play.
The 22-year-old's greatest contribution came in a friendly match against German-club Schalke 04 when he scored the game -winning goal for the Union in a 2-1 victory on May 9 at PPL Park.
"This is [Hackworth's] first full season so he brought in Conor Casey and Sebastian Le Toux, which is two big signings for him and that, was the direction that he wanted to go in," said Hoffman."Then with Jack [McInerney] and the year he had then Antone [Hoppenot] off the bench, it was hard to see where I fit in the picture. So we felt this was a great opportunity for me to progress in my career and get a fresh start out of here. "
Hoffman joins a Galaxy team with a loaded UCLA contingent, who each played with Hoffman during their time in Westwood. The 22-year-old forward played alongside Brian Perk and Michael Stephens during their senior seasons when he was just a freshman. But he would become a leader of Bruins alongside Rowe, who served as the goalkeeper for the UCLA side that went to the College Cup semifinal in 2011.
The young striker believes that "sense of familiarity" will only help him adapt and his college teammate Rowe certainly agrees.
""It'll be great. He has a knack for the goal and he gets into good spots so with good players like Robbie [Keane], once Gyasi [Zardes] gets back, he'll be a good threat," said Rowe. "He considers L.A. to be his second home after going to UCLA and I think he'll be happy and motivated to do well...He's always one to stay late and put in the time to do work and improve himself. He's one that always wants to keep learning," Rowe added. "It'll be a good personality to have around the locker room."
With a fresh start on the horizon and the troubles in Philadelphia behind him, Hoffman is eager for a new beginning with the Galaxy.
"It was good to have confidence that I can score goals at this level [last season]," said Hoffman. "Now I'm looking to do so in meaningful games whether it's CONCACAF or Open Cup or MLS. I think there will be more chances to do what I do."
Major League Soccer Stories from March 5, 2013
- Davis' Late Goal Lifts Dynamo over Santos Laguna 1-0 in Champions League - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- CSN's "State of the Revs" Returns - New England Revolution
- Revs Eye Return to Postseason in 2013 - New England Revolution
- Chandler Hoffman Ready for a Fresh Start with the Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Announce Reading United Friendly - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United Signs 2013 MLS SuperDraft Pick Taylor Kemp - D.C. United
- Quebec Goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau Makes the Jump - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC Launch Saskatchewan Academy Centre - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Quarterfinals Commence in CONCACAF Champions League - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Dynamo Host Santos Laguna in First Leg of Champions League Quarterfinals Tonight - Houston Dynamo
- Sal Zizzo Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Veteran Journalist Richard Fleming to Join Rapids as Director of Broadcasting - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids and Altitude Announce New Broadcast Talent for 2013 - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Names WPWR My50 Chicago as Official Television Partner - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Sign Matt Kassel - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.