Rays' Report: Another Split with AmarilloMarch 5, 2013 - North American Hockey League (NAHL) - Corpus Christi IceRays Press Release
GAME #49 - 2-26-13: Corpus Christi 4-1 Amarillo - The opening goal came off the stick of Mike Economos, his10th of the year after Rudy Sulmonte played the puck off the right leg pad of goaltender Collin Delia at 17:39 of the first frame to put the IceRays up 1-0. Later, Hayden Stewart faced a two-on-none short-handed rush going post-to-post to stop the Bulls and keep the game at a 1-0 IceRay advantage. In the middle period, Emil Romig took the puck at the top of the circle and wired it over the shoulder of Collin Delia just 2:!2 into the second assisted by Beau Walker and Eric Purcell to put the IceRays up 2-0. The Bulls got on the board at 17:33 of the second period off a Matt Sieckhaus shot that beat Hayden Stewart over the left shoulder splitting the IceRays lead to 2-1. To end the second period, Corpus Christi fired up the penalty-kill and stopped a two man advantage that Amarillo had to keep the 2-1 lead heading into the 2nd intermission. In the third period, Sulmonte wired another shot off the right leg pad of Delia, this time on to the stick of Emil Romig who recorded his second goal of the game short-handed just 1:56 in and the Rays' led 3-1. To finish it off Romig found the empty net with 1:32 left in the game to cap off the hat-trick and a 4-1 IceRays win.
GAME #50 - 2-27-13: Corpus Christi 1-5 Amarillo - The Amarillo Bulls scored four goals in the final period of play as the IceRays dropped a 5-1 decision in front of 6,233 fans inside the American Bank Center on Wednesday morning. Ben Myers stopped a penalty-shot in the first period but Amarillo got on the board early in the second frame. Clint Carlisle walked in short-handed and beat Myers at 3:49 to put Amarillo ahead 1-0. Corpus Christi responded with a power-play strike as Wayland Williams tapped the puck to Caleb O'Brien who one-timed it by Paul Berrafato at 7:13 of the second and the two teams went into the second intermission tied at one goal apiece. In the third Amarillo came out swinging as Blake Roubos struck 62sec into the final period to put the Bulls up 2-1. Dan McNamara responded 2:53 later off a great Clint Carlisle pass and the Bulls pulled out to a 3-1 lead. Omar Mullan tacked on the third goal of the period assisted by Connor Frey and Carter Penzien at 11:27 and led 4-1. To finish the scoring, Brady Ferguson added an empty netter with just 42sec left in regulation and Amarillo ended the two game losing streak with a 5-1 win. Ben Myers denied 35 shots in the loss.
Friday, March 8th vs. Wichita Falls Wildcats
TEEN NIGHT - presented by WHATABURGER.
Saturday, March 9th vs. Wichita Falls Wildcats
GRADES 4 BLADES - presented by Grande Communications & TAMUCC ROTC
CALLER TIMES 4-PACK NIGHT - 4 Tickets, 4 Hotdogs, 4 Sodas for $44!
AROUND THE SOUTH DIVISION :
TEAM GP W L OTL PTS PCT GF GA PIM HOME AWAY
xAmarillo 52 39 7 6 84 .808 211 103 1043 21-2-3 18-5-3
xTopeka 51 32 13 6 70 .686 158 123 1139 14-9-4 18-4-2
xTexas 51 32 18 1 65 .637 186 138 951 15-10-1 17-8-0
Corpus Christi 50 22 22 6 50 .500 150 166 1200 10-13-1 12-9-5
Wichita Falls 51 22 26 3 47 .461 158 176 787 11-13-2 11-13-1
Odessa 49 6 40 3 15 .153 99 242 1023 2-19-2 4-21-1
CORPUS CHRISTI'S RECORD AGAINST OPPONENTS :
AMARILLO : 5-5-0
TOPEKA : 1-3-0
WICHITA FALLS : 1-2-3
KENAI RIVER: 4-0-0
ICERAYS LEADERS :
GOALS : Rudy Sulmonte - 21
ASSISTS : Emil Romig - 30
POINTS : Rudy Sulmonte - 49
PLUS/MINUS : Andrew Paras - +7
PENALTY MINUTES : Mike Economos - 122min
SHOTS : Rudy Sulmonte - 162
WINS : Ben Myers & Hayden Stewart - 10
GOALS AGAINST AVERAGE : Ben Myers - 2.89
SAVE PERCENTAGE : Ben Myers - .913
STOLARZ SIGNS WITH PHILLY... Former IceRays goaltender Anthony Stolarz signed an entry level contract with the Philadelphia Flyers. The contract starts at the beginning of the 2013-2014 season.
ECONOMOS COMMITS... IceRays forward Mike Economos will play college hockey at (D3) Plymouth State University starting next season!
EVEN WITH AMARILLO... Corpus Christi picked up another split with the Amarillo Bulls last Tuesday and Wednesday.
OVER 6,000 WATCH ICERAYS... The IceRays had over 6,000 students attend Wednesday morning's game with Amarillo. They learned about the dangers of tobacco usage!
PLAYOFF RACE... Corpus Christi is now just 3pts in front of Wichita Falls after a split with Amarillo and Wichita Falls swept Topeka.
INJURY UPDATE... Perry D'Arrisso and Trevor Heuser sat out this past weekend's games with injuries.
- Beau Walker - (D3) University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
- Dmitry Ermakov - (D3) Norwich University
- Mike Economos - (D3) Plymouth State University
- Matthew Weis - (D1) Ohio State University
- Michael Benedict (Niagara University) - (6G, 3A) - 30GP
- Frank Misuraca (U. of Alabama-Huntsville) - (2g, 4a) - 20GP
- Pheonix Copley (Michigan Tech) - (7-13-1, 3.10GAA, .903%) - 21GP
- Mychal Monteith (Mercyhurst) - (0g, 2a) - 20GP
- Colton Saucerman (Northeastern) - (3g, 8a) - 29GP
- Greg Chapman (St. Mary's U.) - (0g, 1a) - 19GP
- Luc Neitenbach (Worcester State) - (0g, 0a) - 15GP
- Jake Diamond (Wentworth College) - (0g, 0a) - 7GP
- Kevin Crowe (Wentworth College) - (10g, 11a) - 26GP
- Derrek Schartz (Tufts University) - (2g, 1a) - 16GP
- Josh Obregon (Johnson & Wales U.) - (12g, 11a) - 27GP
- Anton Olsson (Lawrence College) - (0-1, 6.00GAA, .838%)
- Navarone Copley (St. Mary's U.) - (0g, 0a) - 9GP
- Jonathan Sdao (Colby College) - (4g, 4a) - 23GP
- Matthew Weis (Green Bay Gamblers) - (10g, 19a) - 43GP
- Danny Fetzer (Chicago Steel) - (5g, 6a) - 41GP
- Roman Uchyn (Des Moines) - (4g, 4a) - 24GP
- Anthony Stolarz (London) - (11-2-1, 2.14GAA, .927%) - 16GP
- Phil Pietroniro (Shawinigan) - (5g, 4a) - 37GP
WHAT'S ON TAP... The IceRays are home this weekend against Wichita Falls. Pregame show starts 15 minutes prior to ALL IceRays home games on sportsjuice.com, the TuneIn Radio APP, ustream.com, and fasthockey.com. Be sure to get your tickets now by calling the IceRays front office at 361.814.PUCK (7825) or crash the net at www.goicerays.com.
North American Hockey League Stories from March 5, 2013
- Wings Weekly - Aberdeen Wings
- Economos Commits to (D3) Plymouth State University - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Rays' Report: Another Split with Amarillo - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Wings Tender Finalists for Reed Larson Award - Aberdeen Wings
- Bulls Giving Back to Community this Week - Amarillo Bulls
- Zach Naelvoort Named Central Division 2nd Star - Aberdeen Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.