Revs claim third place in Desert Diamond Cup with goals from Nguyen, BengtsonFebruary 23, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) New England Revolution
Nguyen scored what proved to be the game-winning goal in just the fourth minute when he drew a penalty kick before stepping up to convert himself. Bengtson added the Revolution's insurance in the 36th minute with an opportunistic finish following a Red Bulls giveaway.
The victory closed out the Revolution's 2013 preseason schedule as the club went 2-3-1 in six games against MLS competition. While the MLS regular season kicks off next weekend, the Revs have a bye in week one and won't open until March 9, when they'll visit the Chicago Fire at Toyota Park.
It took the Revs just four minutes to get off the mark on Saturday as Nguyen drew and converted an early penalty kick. Nguyen was clipped by Jamison Olave as he chased a loose ball into the box and the Revolution midfielder stepped up himself to drill the penalty into the lower left corner.
New York came inches from equalizing in the 11th minute when Juninho's free kick found Thierry Henry streaking down the left and the French striker's low shot hit the far post. Eight minutes later Fabian Espindola fired a shot on frame from the center of the box which forced Matt Reis into a great reaction save.
The Red Bulls continued to knock on the door and were twice denied in the 28th minute. Nguyen was on hand to acrobatically clear a goal-bound header off the line before Reis comfortably handled the follow-up drive.
After withstanding the pressure, New England capitalized on a New York mistake to double its lead in the 36th minute. Nguyen started the sequence when he tried to pounce on a loose ball, forcing Red Bulls goalkeeper Luis Robles to clear straight to Bengtson. The Honduran's first attempt was blocked, but his follow-up effort kicked off the inside of the near post and into the back of the net.
Trailing by a pair of goals, the Red Bulls created the better of the chances in the second half - most notably Espindola's 88th-minute drive which required Reis to stretch and tip the ball over the crossbar - but the Revolution's backline held firm to secure a second preseason shutout.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 23, 2013
- Revs claim third place in Desert Diamond Cup with goals from Nguyen, Bengtson - New England Revolution
- Timbers Close Preseason with a 1-1 Draw against Aik - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC win 2013 FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Beats Columbus 1-0 to Win the Disney Pro Classic - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Drops Desert Diamond Cup Final 0-1 to Seattle - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire claim Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
- Battery earn 2-1 win - Houston Dynamo
- Mattocks scores fifth goal of preseason after Miller draws penalty kick - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Draw 1-1 with Vancouver Whitecaps FC in Preseason - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Routs the L.A. Blues, 5-1, in Preseason Finale - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- San Jose Earthquakes Close Preseason with 2-1 Win against FC Dallas - San Jose Earthquakes
- Venue Change for Sunday's Inaugural Kirk Urso Memorial Match - Columbus Crew
- Union Fall to United in Final Preseason Matchup - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC Signs Djimi Traore - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy close out preseason with 2-1 win over Colorado - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy ready for MLS after successful preseason - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC play to scoreless draw - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.