Bruins Extend Streak to FiveFebruary 22, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Providence Bruins
Looking to extend their win streak to five games, the Bruins came out flying in their first contest against the Norfolk Admirals this season. The Bruins, who have outscored their opponents 32-19 in February, didn't waste time getting on the scoreboard. At 16:17 of the first period, Mink deflected a shot past Igor Bobkov to give the Bruins a power play strike. Matt Bartkowski and Jordan Caron assisted. Going into the game, Providence ranked 13th in the league in the power play with a 17.3% efficiency rate.
A delay of game call on Norfolk with just two seconds to play in the first period, allowed the Bruins to start the second on the power play. They made sure that the opportunity didn't go to waste as just 46 seconds into the second Mink tallied his second goal of the game. Colby Cohen and Bartkowski assisted on the play. Providence's special teams proved to be on fire as nearly eight minutes later, Whitfield added a shorthanded goal. The shorthanded strike caused the Admirals to replace Bobkov with rookie netminder Frederik Andersen.
Play started to get physical as the Admirals, who sit in 28th place in the AHL, began to get frustrated. The Admirals recorded 19 penalty minutes in the third, including a charging major and game misconduct. Despite their power play success earlier in the game, the Bruins were unable to find the back of the net. Regardless of the scoreless third period, the Bruins held on for the 3-0 win.
The Bruins return to The Dunk on Friday, March 1 versus the Worcester Sharks. The puck drops at 7:05 p.m. for Pom Pom Night. The first 2,000 fans in attendance will receive free pom poms courtesy of Dunkin' Donuts.
Providence Bruins ticket packages are on sale now for the 2012-13 season. To purchase tickets of for more information, call the P-Bruins ticket office at 401-273-5000 or log on to the team website at www.providencebruins.com .
For all the latest Providence Bruins news, updates and special offers, become a fan of the P-Bruins on Facebook at www.facebook.com/providencebruins or follow the club on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AHLBruins .
The Providence Bruins, established in 1992, are the top affiliate of the 2011 Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins. The Providence Bruins have enjoyed much success over their history. The team won the American Hockey League's Calder Cup championship in 1999 and boasts 10 former players on the 2011 Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins. In addition to accomplishments on the ice, the Providence Bruins were fourth-best in attendance in the AHL in 2011-12 and are the best-attended minor-league hockey team in New England.
American Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2013
- Falcons Bash Sound Tigers - Springfield Falcons
- Hogs Hang on for Fourth Straight Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Give up Late Lead En Route to Shootout Loss - Lake Erie Monsters
- Springfield falls to Falcons - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rivermen Roll over Rampage 5-0 - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Lose Last of Eight Meetings with Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- One of AHL's Largest Crowds Cheers Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Stars Stun Monsters in Shootout 4-3 - Texas Stars
- Rampage Tripped up at Peoria, 5-0 - San Antonio Rampage
- Dogs Edge Amerks 3-2 At Bell Centre - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Monarchs Score Catch of the Day - Manchester Monarchs
- B-Sens Beat Bears in Broome Shootout, 5-4 - Binghamton Senators
- Penguins Stun Phantoms with Late Rally - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Return Home and Fall 7-2 to Monarchs - Worcester Sharks
- Amerks Bitten by Bulldogs in Montreal - Rochester Americans
- Bears Fight Back for Point in Binghamton - Hershey Bears
- Providence Shuts out Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Bruins Extend Streak to Five - Providence Bruins
- Forward Brian Martin and Defenseman Marty Wilford Inducted into Admirals Hall of Fame - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Sign Register - Manchester Monarchs
- Aeros Sign Phil Fox to a PTO - Houston Aeros
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Charlie Coyle from Houston - Houston Aeros
- Blues Recall Chris Porter - Peoria Rivermen
- Karlsson Reassigned to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Tom Sestito Loaned to Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Amerks Annual Wendy's Skate Set For Wednesday, March 6 - Rochester Americans
- Rockford and Grand Rapids Meet Tonight at BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Recall Stone from Portland - Portland Pirates
- History of Large Crowds in Big Philly Games - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Announce Team Captains - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Swap Goalies - Chicago Wolves
- Senators Announce Roster Moves - Binghamton Senators
- B-Sens Add Two to Roster - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Bridgeport, Game #49 - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins Sign Minella to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Jets Recall Julian Melchiori from IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Monarchs Announce Roster Moves - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.