Fagundez Shines Despite Revs' Frustrating FinishFebruary 21, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) New England Revolution
The 18-year-old Homegrown talent was at his best on the Revolution's opening goal in the 50th minute. After expertly controlling Andrew Farrell's long diagonal pass, Fagundez raced down the left wing, rounded his defender and crossed for Andy Dorman to finish from close range.
"Diego's done brilliant to get to the byline," said Dorman. "He said he picked his head up and saw somebody coming into the box. Fortunately for me, he found me a couple yards out. He did most of the hard work."
At times this preseason, Fagundez has found himself playing with his back to goal, which isn't the slight 5-foot-8 attacker's forte. But on Wednesday night Fagundez more often drifted out wide to receive the ball, providing the chance to run at defenders on the dribble.
"I like to get the ball and go at people one-on-one instead of playing with my back to goal," Fagundez said. "When [head coach Jay Heaps] put me out wide, I felt more comfortable because I kept getting the ball and taking it one-on-one."
On one notable play in the 80th minute, Fagundez kick-started a Revolution counterattack when he received the ball under pressure in the defensive third and delivered a stunning cross-field pass to Dimitry Imbongo, setting his teammate free down the opposite wing. It's those types of quick reactions Heaps wants to see on a more regular basis as Fagundez could play a key role for the Revs in 2013.
"He was really good," Heaps said. "Diego came out and showed some good flashes. We want to get him moving the ball a little bit quicker. Right off the start he moved well, but as the game went on, we need to get him playing quicker, one and two touch."
Major League Soccer Stories from February 21, 2013
- Veteran Leaders Expected to Help Revs Close Games - New England Revolution
- Chivas USA Set for Preseason Finale on Saturday - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sounders FC Formalize Fan Loyalty Program - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Ready for 2013 Preseason Finale against the Rapids - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake to Play in Nationally Televised FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup Final - Real Salt Lake
- Whitecaps FC Add Experienced Premier League Defender/Midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire 2014, 2015 SuperDraft Picks from Vancouver - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Sign Goalkeeper Clint Irwin and Defender Kory Kindle - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Renews Association with Match Analysis - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire Launch Chicago Fire Recreational Soccer Program - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Michael Nanchoff - Portland Timbers
- San Jose Earthquakes to Host "March to Soccer Week" Across Bay Area - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Signs FW Olmes Garcia - Real Salt Lake
- Fagundez Shines Despite Revs' Frustrating Finish - New England Revolution
- Timbers Fall 1-0 to FC Dallas in Preseason - Portland Timbers
- Late Goals Doom Revs - New England Revolution
- Desert Diamond Cup: Sounders FC 2 vs. New York Red Bulls 0 - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.