Chicago Fire Open Carolina Challenge Cup with 3-2 Comeback WinFebruary 16, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Chicago Fire
The 2012 MLS Cup Finalists opened scoring in the 15th minute when they won a free kick 20 yards from goal. Brad Davis laid the ball off for Adam Moffat, who blasted his shot through the Fire wall and off the fingertips of an outstretched Sean Johnson to give the Dynamo the 1-0 lead.
The Fire found the equalizer in the 23rd minute when Dilly Duka played the ball behind the Dynamo defense to MacDonald. Using his strength to fight off defenders, MacDonald raced into the box and slotted the ball under Dynamo 'keeper Tally Hall to even the score.
Minutes later the Men in Red would take a 2-1 lead courtesy of a Houston own goal that resulted as a loose ball ricocheted off Duka and two Dynamo defenders.
The Fire pulled further away in the second half. In the 48th minute, Jalil Anibaba raced down the right flank and crossed the ball in to Chris Rolfe, whose header was tipped over the bar by Hall. Joel Lindpere took the ensuing corner kick and found Larentowicz, whose snap header gave the Fire the 3-1 lead.
The Dynamo were able to cut the deficit to 3-2 in the 64th minute when Brad Davis whipped in a corner and found a leaping Cam Weaver whose header pulled the Dynamo within one.
In the 84th minute, 2013 MLS SuperDraft pick Yazid Atouba drew a penalty when he dribbled into the box and was taken down in the Dynamo penalty area. Maicon Santos stepped up and took the ensuing penalty but Hall dove to his right and was able to push the ball out for a corner kick.
The Fire continue Carolina Challenge Cup play when they face USL-Pro side Charleston Battery at 6:15 p.m. CT at Blackbaud Stadium on Wednesday, Feb. 20. Watch the match live on USLNation.com.
Chicago Fire Season Tickets and #cf97withdrawals Winter Packs, which give fans the opportunity to witness the Men in Red in action on Opening Night against the New England Revolution on Saturday, March 9 at 6:30 p.m. CT (NBC Sports Network), while donning the four Fire hats and four pairs of Fire gloves, are available by calling 1-888-MLS-FIRE, via Ticketmaster or by heading to the club's official website at www.Chicago-Fire.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 16, 2013
- Rookie Manneh steals show with two goals, Kobayashi with the other - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sounders FC defeat Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Open Carolina Challenge Cup with 3-2 Comeback Win - Chicago Fire
- Dynamo Tipped by Fire in Preseason Clash - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake Succumbs 1-2 to Seattle in FC Tucson Desert Diamond - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Play to 0-0 Draw with K-League's Gangwon FC - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy Learn a Lesson in a New Style of Play against Korean Opposition - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Union Defeat Toronto FC Behind Three Goal Performance - Philadelphia Union
- Crepeau, Messoudi and Jackson-Hamel Selected by Canada U20 - Montreal Impact
- Impact Qualifies for Final of World Disney World Pro Soccer Classic - Montreal Impact
- 15,000 Tickets Sold for Home Opener - Montreal Impact
- Chivas USA Defeats Colorado Rapids 3-0 in Las Vegas - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Impact Plays the Philadelphia Union to a 0-0 Draw - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.