Rays' Report: IceRays Sweep on "Pink in the Rink"February 11, 2013 - North American Hockey League (NAHL) - Corpus Christi IceRays
GAME #45 - 2-6-13: Corpus Christi 6-3 Odessa - Nick Monfils had a memorable debut in an IceRays uniform scoring two goals in the first period leading Corpus Christi to a 6-3 win over the Odessa Jackalopes in front of 2,231 inside the American Bank Center. The Jacks' quieted the IceRays crowd scoring just 1:10 into the game. A shot from the point was stopped by Hayden Stewart but Matt Volonnino put the rebound home and Odessa led 1-0. Corpus Christi responded at 6:08 and it was Nick Monfils with his first on a wrister from the slot to tie the game 1-1 with assists from Beau Walker and Jalen Schulz. The IceRays went up 2-1 at 11:51 after Andrew Paras hit Nick Monfils with a long breakaway pass who deked goaltender Nick Deery and notched his second of the period. Rudy Sulmonte added his first of the evening with 5:26 left in the first period off of a scramble in front of the net. Wayland Williams and Mike Economos each touched the puck before Sulmonte finished it off and the Rays' led 3-1 after 20min. In the second period Economos picked up a goal of his own on the power-play. The original try failed however the winger scooped the puck right back up and fired it top shelf at 13:40 and Corpus Christi moved out to a 4-1 lead. Odessa stuck around in the second splitting the lead in half courtesy of Brett Wagner who tallied his first NAHL goal assisted by Josh Racek and former IceRay Chris Taff at 18:56. Eric Purcell didn't take long to respond just 13 seconds later with an unassisted goal that regained Corpus Christi's three goal lead at 5-2. In period three, Sulmonte scored his second of the evening while on the power-play off a gorgeous pass from John Roisum at the point that got tipped in to move out to a 6-2 advantage. Corey Hoffman tacked on a goal for the Jackalopes at 9:29 but the IceRays held on for the 6-3 win.
GAME #46 - 2-8-13: Corpus Christi 4-2 Odessa - The Corpus Christi IceRays picked up a 4-2 win backed by two third period tallies over the Odessa Jackalopes in front of 5,486 fans inside the American Bank Center. Brandon Berkley started the scoring just 2:50 into the game. Nick Monfils fed Berkley with a pass from the right wing circle who tapped it by Erick Majerle for a 1-0 lead. The Jackalopes answered back at 13:52 of the first period when a puck bounced right onto the stick of Matt Volonnino who wristed a shot by Ben Myers, unassisted, to tie the game 1-1. In the second period, Jimmy Peplinski backhanded the puck over the shoulder of Ben Myers after cutting through the slot to put the Jacks' up 2-1 at 4:52 of the middle frame. Charles Baldwin electrified the crowd tying the game back up at two goals apiece. Baldwin took an AJ Jarosz pass and ripped it top shelf just under the crossbar at 11:18 of the second. Heading into the third, the teams were tied at two. Brandon Smith changed that tapping in an Emil Romig pass just 4:23 into the third to put Corpus Christi ahead 3-2. Eric Purcell picked up the insurance goal with 3:59 left in the game back-handing the puck under the pad of Erick Majerle sealing a 4-2 win. The game didn't lack excitement as four fights erupted in the second period and goaltender Ben Myers won his 9th game of the year stopping 16 of 18 shots.
Tuesday, February 26th vs. Amarillo Bulls
Buy 1, get 1 FREE - Get FREE medium soda w/ purchase of pretzel.
Wednesday, February 27th vs. Amarillo Bulls
Dollar Day! - $1 hotdogs & small soda's!
AROUND THE SOUTH DIVISION:
TEAM GP W L OTL PTS PCT GF GA PIM HOME AWAY
Amarillo 44 33 5 6 72 .818 182 91 869 18-1-3 15-4-3
Texas 47 32 14 1 65 .691 177 124 847 15-8-1 17-6-0
Topeka 45 28 11 6 62 .689 139 105 1036 14-7-4 14-4-2
Corpus Christi 46 20 20 6 46 .500 143 156 1111 9-12-1 11-8-5
Wichita Falls 45 18 24 3 39 .433 136 162 711 9-11-2 9-13-1
Odessa 45 6 36 3 15 .167 95 220 961 2-17-2 4-19-1
CORPUS CHRISTI'S RECORD AGAINST OPPONENTS :
AMARILLO : 3-3-0
TOPEKA : 1-3-0
WICHITA FALLS : 1-2-3
KENAI RIVER: 4-0-0
ICERAYS LEADERS :
GOALS : Rudy Sulmonte - 21
ASSISTS : Emil Romig - 29
POINTS : Rudy Sulmonte - 47
PLUS/MINUS : Grant Hutton - +8
PENALTY MINUTES : Mike Economos - 118min
SHOTS : Rudy Sulmonte - 152
WINS : Ben Myers & Hayden Stewart - 9
GOALS AGAINST AVERAGE : Ben Myers - 2.93
SAVE PERCENTAGE : Ben Myers - .911
WEEKEND OFF... The IceRays have this weekend off as they send players to the 2013 Top Prospects Tournament. Joe Ginley has been added to the roster with Perry D'Arrisso injured. Also attending is Wayland Williams, Jalen Schulz, Emil Romig, Hayden Stewart, and Brandon Smith.
BIG WEEKEND... Nick Monfils scored two goals in his first NAHL game on Wednesday and assisted Friday's first goal as the IceRays swept Odessa.
BIG CROWD ON "PINK IN THE RINK"... The IceRays annual "Pink in the Rink" game drew 5,486 fans as they raised money for Susan G Komen and the American Cancer Society!
PLAYOFF RACE... Corpus Christi is now 7pts in front of Wichita Falls after a pair of wins this past week. The Wichita Falls Wildcats played Amarillo and the Bulls swept the Wildcats.
INJURY UPDATE... Perry D'Arrisso and Trevor Heuser sat out this past weekend's games with injuries.
- Beau Walker - (D3) University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
- Dmitry Ermakov - (D3) Norwich University
- Matthew Weis - (D1) Ohio State University
- Michael Benedict (Niagara University) - (6G, 3A) - 27GP
- Frank Misuraca (U. of Alabama-Huntsville) - (2g, 4a) - 18GP
- Pheonix Copley (Michigan Tech) - (6-10-1, 2.86GAA, .908%) - 17GP
- Mychal Monteith (Mercyhurst) - (0g, 2a) - 20GP
- Colton Saucerman (Northeastern) - (1g, 6a) - 21GP
- Greg Chapman (St. Mary's U.) - (0g, 1a) - 17GP
- Luc Neitenbach (Worcester State) - (0g, 0a) - 13GP
- Jake Diamond (Wentworth College) - (0g, 0a) - 4GP
- Kevin Crowe (Wentworth College) - (9g, 8a) - 22GP
- Derrek Schartz (Tufts University) - (2g, 1a) - 14GP
- Josh Obregon (Johnson & Wales U.) - (8g, 10a) - 22GP
- Anton Olsson (Lawrence College) - (0-1, 6.00GAA, .838%)
- Navarone Copley (St. Mary's U.) - (0g, 0a) - 9GP
- Jonathan Sdao (Colby College) - (3g, 4a) - 19GP
- Matthew Weis (Green Bay Gamblers) - (8g, 16a) - 36GP
- Danny Fetzer (Chicago Steel) - (3g, 6a) - 33GP
- Travis Maxwell (Lincoln) - (1g, 4a) - 24GP
- Roman Uchyn (Des Moines) - (4g, 2a) - 19GP
- Anthony Stolarz (London) - (4-1-1, 2.42GAA, .916%) - 8GP
- Phil Pietroniro (Shawinigan) - (4g, 4a) - 32GP
WHAT'S ON TAP... The IceRays are off this weekend but return to action Friday, February 22nd in Amarillo. Pregame show starts 15 minutes prior to ALL IceRays away games on 91.1FM, ksgr.org, ustream.com, and fasthockey.com. Be sure to get your tickets now by calling the IceRays front office at 361.814.PUCK (7825) or crash the net at www.goicerays.com.
North American Hockey League Stories from February 11, 2013
- Falcons Add Another Tender For 2013-2014 Season - Port Huron Fighting Falcons
- NAHL Announces Divisional Stars of the Week - NAHL
- 'Cats swept by Bulls, trail by seven points - Wichita Falls Wildcats
- Rays' Report: IceRays Sweep on "Pink in the Rink" - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Jr. Blues Drop 2 at Kalamazoo - Springfield Jr. Blues
- Blizzard Sweep Minot over Weekend - Brookings Blizzard
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.