Penguins Rebound with Thrilling Victory over AdmiralsFebruary 9, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
Less than a minute into the middle frame, Beau Bennett netted the game-winner and his seventh of the season on the power play. Taking a Kolarik rebound in the slot, Bennett whipped a turn-around wrist shot over the shoulder of Igor Bobkov to give the Penguins a 2-0 advantage.
The Admirals would cut the lead in half at 11:38 of the second, capitalizing on a turnover at the blue line during a Wilkes-Barre/Scranton man-advantage. Patrick Maroon and Peter Holland teamed up on a 2-on-0 rush, where Holland put a one-timer past the right side of Jeff Zatkoff.
Midway through the third, Holzapfel ripped a bullet over the blocker of Bobkov to reestablish the Penguins' two-goal lead. Kolarik collected his second assist of the night, feeding Holzapfel in the slot for his 16th goal of the season.
Warren Peters sealed the victory with his fourth goal in as many games, finding the empty net with 1:02 left in regulation.
At 13:21 of the first, Smith put the Penguins up 1-0, streaking down the nearside boards and throwing a puck towards Bobkov that skittered its way through the five-hole.
Zatkoff picks up his 16th victory, stopping 25-of 26-shots. Bobkov took the loss for Norfolk with 29 stops on 32 shots.
The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins are back at home on Tuesday, Feb. 12 as they battle the Binghamton Senators at 7:05PM.
Individual seats for all Penguins' home games are available at the Mohegan Sun Arena box office, online at www.ticketmaster.com, and by calling 800-745-3000.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton season ticket packages, including 12-game and Flexbook plans, are available by contacting the Penguins directly at 570-208-7367.
American Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2013
- Hogs Blanked by Houston - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Give up Six Goals in Third to Lose Second Straight - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Dropped by Devils - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Turn the Table on Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Bulldogs Outshine Stars 2-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Third Period Drives Devils Past Crunch - Albany Devils
- Rampage Earn Third-Straight Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Checkers Fall to Rampage on Pink in the Rink Night - Charlotte Checkers
- Texas Scores Twice, But Loses 2-1 to Hamilton - Texas Stars
- Penguins Rebound with Thrilling Victory over Admirals - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Power Past Senators - Hershey Bears
- Bears Top B-Sens, 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- IceCaps Beached by Whale - St. John's IceCaps
- Whale Dominates IceCaps - Connecticut Whale
- Toronto Holds off Wolves, 4-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Recall Alex Hutchings from Everblades - Syracuse Crunch
- Toronto Defeats Chicago 4-2 - Toronto Marlies
- Houston Signs Ginand and Aubin - Houston Aeros
- Ducks and Admirals Announce Transactions - Norfolk Admirals
- Savard Assigned To Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- American Hockey League Games Postponed - AHL
- SJ Sharks Reassign Defenseman Matt Irwin to Worcester - Worcester Sharks
- Hogs Look for Third Straight Win Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Saturday's Sound Tigers Game against Portland Postponed - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Houston Aeros Take Down Admirals 5-2 - Houston Aeros
- Dallas Returns Antoine Roussel to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.