Chicago Fire Goalkeeper Sean Johnson Named to U.S. Men's National Team SquadFebruary 4, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Chicago Fire Press Release
The United States is one of the six CONCACAF nations competing in the final round of qualifying for a berth in the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
Johnson earned his first start for the U.S. Men's National Team in a 0-0 draw with Canada at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston, Texas Jan. 29. Johnson played the full 90 minutes, earning the shutout.
A Lilburn, Ga. product, Johnson made his international debut Jan 22, 2011 against Chile at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. and has been capped three times.
The 23-year-old "keeper enters his fourth season as a professional after a 2012 season where he appeared in a career-high 31 regular season games for the Men in Red, accumulating a 16-10-5 record, including five shutouts. Johnson's 1.24 goals against average was the lowest in his professional career. Johnson made 108 saves in 2012, including a career-high ten saves against the San Jose Earthquakes July 28.
Following the match, Johnson will join the Fire for the second leg of preseason training camp in Ventura, Calif.
The Fire host Opening Day at Toyota Park against the New England Revolution on Saturday, March 9 at 6:30 p.m. CT (NBC Sports Network). The Men in Red will begin their 16th season on the road the previous week when they visit two-time defending MLS Cup Champions LA Galaxy at the Home Depot Center on Sunday, March 3 at 4:00 p.m. CT (Univision).
Chicago Fire Season Tickets and #cf97withdrawals Winter Packs, which give fans the opportunity to witness the Men in Red in action on Opening Day while donning the four Fire hats and four pairs of Fire gloves included in the pack, are available by calling 1-888-MLS-FIRE, via Ticketmaster or by heading to the club's official website at www.Chicago-Fire.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 4, 2013
- Whitecaps FC Take 1-0 Preseason Decision over Arizona Sahuaros - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Loses 0-2 to UC-Irvine in Preseason Friendly - Real Salt Lake
- Back with the Galaxy in 2013, Juninho could not be happier - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- RSL MF Javier Morales Undergoes Successful Menisectomy - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy defender Omar Gonzalez named to the U.S. National Team - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Tickets for First Half of D.C. United's 2013 Season to Go on Sale Saturday - D.C. United
- Change of Location for Tomorrow's Chivas USA Scrimmage - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Red Bulls Acquire Allocation Money from FC Dallas for Forward Kenny Cooper - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Defender Jermaine Taylor Signs Contract Extension - Houston Dynamo
- FC Dallas Acquires Forwards Kenny Cooper and Eric Hassli - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire Face Two MLS Opponents in Preparation for 2013 Season - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Announce Two Changes to 2013 Regular Season Schedule - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Acquire Conditional MLS SuperDraft Pick for Hassli - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire Acquire Midfielder Dilly Duka from the Columbus Crew - Chicago Fire
- Crew Acquires Dominic Oduro from Chicago Fire - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Goalkeeper Sean Johnson Named to U.S. Men's National Team Squad - Chicago Fire
- Three Sounders FC Players Called in for World Cup Qualifier - Seattle Sounders FC
- Matt Besler and Graham Zusi Selected to USMNT - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo Midfielder Brad Davis Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for Wednesday's World Cup Qual - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.