Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with winJanuary 27, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) Stockton Thunder
Forward Yannick Riendeau and center Harrison Reed each found the back of the net for the Thunder. Defenseman Ryan Constant earned an assist (the 100th of his professional career) on Riendeau's goal and finished with two assists on the night.
Andrew Engelage stopped 30 shots for the Grizzlies.
"I was actually thinking about putting Jody O'Niell in net today," Thunder head coach Matt Thomas said, "to give a little bit of a different perspective for our team. Then, Cody Reichard texted me and said, 'I want the net', and when a goalie does that you listen."
After a scoreless first period, Utah jumped on the board on a power play 4:32 into the second. From behind the left post, Ian Schultz sent the puck across the face of goal to Jimmy Martin at the right circle. Martin beat Reichard glove-side to put the Grizzlies up 1-0.
With time ticking down in the second period, Constant poked the puck ahead to Riendeau for a two-on-one break with forward Garet Hunt (playing in his 300th game in his professional career). Skating into the crease, Riendeau fired a wrist shot that squeezed between Engelage's right pad and the post, tying the game up 1-1 with just 35 seconds left in the period.
At the midway point of the third period, the Thunder were granted a five-on-three power play. On the advantage, center Justin Maylan found Reed at the point. Reed uncorked a wrist shot that sailed through traffic and beat Engelage, giving the Thunder a 2-1 lead 10:16 into the final frame.
"This weekend has been pretty dirty, and there was a lot of chippiness in the game," Reed said, "In turn, that resulted in a lot of five-on-threes. We haven't really been taking advantage of that. It was a little icing on the cake to score on a five-on-three."
NOTES: The Thunder scratched Teigan Zahn, Jesse Fratkin, Matt Ambroz, and Cameron Abney...Ryan Constant is now just one assist away from 100 in his ECHL career...Harrison Reed has scored in three consecutive games and has five goals in his last five games...Cody Reichard has faced 99 shots in the last three games ... the Thunder finished 4-2-1 in the season series against Utah.
Up next, the Thunder will continue its seven-game home stand with a midweek clash with its Central Valley rival, San Francisco Bulls. The puck will drop Wednesday, Jan. 30 at 7 p.m. at Stockton Arena.
A two time recipient of the ECHL "Award of Excellence," the Thunder led the ECHL in attendance for four consecutive seasons and drew over 200,000 fans for the seventh consecutive season in 2011-12. Season Tickets, Group Tickets and Mini-Plans for 2012-13 are on sale now. For more information about tickets, merchandise, or other inquiries contact the Stockton Thunder offices at (209) 373-1500 or visit www.StocktonThunder.com
1. STK - C. Reichard
2. STK - H. Reed
3. STK - R. Constant
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Road Warriors
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.