Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah GrizzliesJanuary 27, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) Stockton Thunder
TIME: 4:00 p.m.
SITE: Stockton Arena
RADIO: 1280 AM KWSX/StocktonThunder.com (AmericaOne)/92.5 FM (in house feed)
Stockton Thunder: Edmonton Oilers
Utah Grizzlies: Calgary Flames
HOME GAME PROMOTIONAL NOTES
Tonight's Promotions: FAMILY DAY
(presented Sutter Gould, Farmers Insurance, and 99.3 KJOY)
National Anthem Singer: McCaffrey Middle School
Public Address Announcer: Michael Ravotti
In-Arena Emcees: Alan Sanchez, "Hot Rod"
NEXT HOME GAME Wednesday, Jan. 30 vs. San Francisco Bulls (7:00 p.m.) FAMILY DAY (presented by Sutter Gould, Farmers Insurance, and 99.3 KJOY)
The Stockton Thunder will try to break out of its funk, as it looks to avoid the weekend sweep against the Utah Grizzlies at Stockton Arena. The Grizzlies have taken the first two games of the series, using a three-goal third period to win 4-2 on Friday. Utah then spoiled Teddy Bear Toss on Saturday tying the game with 30 seconds left to force overtime before winning 4-3. The Thunder have collected just one point in the last four games.
2012-13 Head to Head Schedule: (3-2-1)
Mon. Nov. 12 Stockton 9 at Utah 6
Fri. Nov. 16 Utah 2 at Stockton 6
Mon. Dec. 31 Stockton1 at Utah 5
Wed. Jan. 2 Stockton 2 at Utah 1
Fri. Jan. 25 Utah 4 at Stockton 2
Sat. Jan. 26 Utah 4 at Stockton 3 (OT)
Sun. Jan. 27 Utah 4:00 p.m.
NOTE OF THE NIGHT
The Thunder is 12-2-3 when leading after one period this season.
LAST THREE GAMES:
UTA 4 - STK 3 (OT) (1/26/13): The fur was flying in the Stockton Thunder's eighth-annual Teddy Bear Toss game, which saw thousands of teddy bears fly onto the ice in a wild affair. The back-and-forth battle went to overtime thanks to Mitch Wahl's goal with 30 seconds left in regulation, and Mark Isherwood won it in overtime for the Utah Grizzlies, sending the Stockton Thuder (21-16-5-3, 50 points) to a 4-3 defeat in front of 8,026 fans at Stockton Arena on Saturday. Center Harrison Reed led the way with two goals, including the teddy bear goal just over five minutes into the first period. Center Justin Maylan chipped in with a goal in the third period.
UTA 4 - STK 2 (1/25/13): Ian Schultz scored twice and sparked a third period rally to help the Utah Grizzlies send the Stockton Thunder (21-16-4-3, 49 points) to a 4-2 defeat before 4,256 fans at Stockton Arena on Friday. Playing in his first game with the Thunder, forward Maxime Boisclair notched his first goal with the Thunder in the first period. Center Harrison Reed collected an assist on Boisclair's goal and added one of his own in the second period.
SF 5 - STK 2 (1/20/13): Wrapping up a three-game series with their Northern California rivals, the Stockton Thunder (21-15-4-3, 49 points) were outgunned and outpaced by the San Francisco Bulls (15-20-1-4) in a 5-2 loss in front of 5,838 fans at Stockton Arena. Center Gabriel Levesque (two points) and forward Matt Bergland each found the back of the net for the Thunder.
- Ryan Constant is 1 assists away from 100 in his professional career
- Yannick Riendeau is 5 assists away from 100 in his professional career
- Garet Hunt is 1 game away from 300 in his professional career
HOME SWEET HOME
The Thunder has made Stockton Arena ideal for home ice advantage this season with a record of 12-6-3. They are in the midst of playing eight of the nine games at home and will start a season long seven game homestand on Jan. 20. Below is a look at key figures for the Thunder at home this season:
At home this season, the Thunder has:
- A record of 12-6-3
- Totaled nine games of scoring four goals or more
- Outshot the opposition eleven times this season
- Posted 14 games of 30 shots on goal or more
- Collected at least one power play goal in ten of the last twelve games
THE ALL-STARS ARE ALIGNED
Thunder center Justin Maylan took part in the ECHL All-Star Game on Jan. 23 at Colorado. Maylan represented Stockton well, chipping in with an assist in the second period to help the ECHL All-Stars cruise to a 7-3 win over the Colorado Eagles. The rookie center earned his first trip as a replacement for Toni Rajala on the squad. Originally, the Thunder had Rajala and defenseman Nathan Deck (replaced with Ontario's Chris Huxley) selected to the ECHL All-Star Team in early January. Both are continuing to skate in the American Hockey League with Oklahoma City. Deck was named a starter for the game (currently skating in the AHL with Oklahoma City) with 17 points in 19 games. Rajala's 18 goals were among the ECHL's top five at the time of his selection.
THUNDER IN ECHL ALL-STAR GAME
Year Venue Representative
2005-06 Fresno Moreland, Lalonde
2006-07 Idaho Geisler, Dubnyk, Martz, Bodie
2007-08 Stockton Farynuk, Contois, MacMurchy
2008-09 Reading Huddy, Urquhart
2009-10 Ontario Blackwater, D'Alvise
2010-11 Bakersfield Arcobello*
2011-12 N/A N/A**
2012-13 Colorado Maylan
* Named MVP of the All-Star Game
** No All-Star Game hosted
Center Gabriel Levesque closed out the pre-All-Star break schedule on a hot streak, scoring two goals and tallying seven points in the last six games for the Thunder. Levesque, who has collected four goals and 16 assists in 39 games in his second year as a pro (all with Stockton), buried the Thunder's final goal against San Francisco last Sunday and collected an assist against Utah on Friday.
NO LITTLE ACCOMPLISHMENT
Thunder defenseman Mike Little played in his 100th career ECHL game on Dec. 27 at Bakersfield and helped out offensively with an assist in a 4-2 Thunder win. Little was named to the ECHL All-Rookie Team last season and was the first selection in Thunder history. Little also played in his 100th career Thunder game Jan. 9 at Colorado.
Center Justin Maylan is tied for fourth in the ECHL in rookie scoring with 35 points this season in 43 games. He collected 12 points in 16 games during the month of December. Maylan has also posted nine multi point games this season.
ROLLING IN THE (RIEN)DEAU
Forward Yannick Riendeau had 19 points in 16 games during December and has posted 12 multi point games this season. He earned a pair of goals last Saturday at Colorado and had an eight game assist streak at home end on Jan. 4.
PLAYING THE REICHARD
Thunder goaltender Cody Reichard became the 11th goaltender in Thunder history to earn the ECHL Goaltender of the Week award when he took the honor on Dec. 11. He followed up with two near misses on monthly awards as well - runner up honors for ECHL Rookie of the Month and ECHL Goaltender of the Month (December) with a 4-1-3 record, 2.19 goals against average and .935 save percentage from Dec. 1-31.
OH CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN
Garet Hunt was named the sixth captain in Thunder history on Oct. 12, taking the "C" for the first time in his career for full-time duty. Hunt served as an alternate captain for the Thunder last season and has helped guide the team to the playoffs for four straight seasons since his 2008-09 rookie campaign. Hunt is the Thunder all-time leader with 289 games played.
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Road Warriors
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.