Heat Winning Streak Halted by Checkers at FiveJanuary 26, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Abbotsford Heat Press Release
The loss ended the Heat's season long five game winning streak,as the teams traded nine even strength goals. Defenseman Drew MacKenzie earned his first AHL point and forward Akim Aliu scored his first goal of the season for the Heat.
The Heat scored first for the sixth straight game with Chris Breen's third goal of the season. Max Reinhart and Roman Horak drew assists on the goal at 2:04 of the first period.
Tyler Ruegsegger extended the Heat lead to 2-0 at the 9:18 mark of the opening period with a slap shot from the top of the right circle. Reinhart and Horak set up Ruegsegger's fourth goal of the season. The Heat led 2-1 after 20 minutes.
The Checkers tied the game at two goals apiece in the second period before Dustin Sylvester's ninth goal of the season put the Heat up 3-2. Sylvester's fourth point of the weekend was assisted by Quintin Laing and rookie defenseman Drew MacKenzie. The assist was the first point of MacKenzie's AHL career.
Mikael Jordan and Tim Wallace scored in the final six minutes of the second period, and the Checkers led the game 4-3 after 40 minutes.
Akim Aliu tied the game 4-4 at 4:14 of the third period with his first goal of the season, one day after picking up two assists. Joe Piskula and Brett Olson drew assists on the goal.
The Checkers grabbed their second lead of the game at 7:31 of the third when Bobby Raymond scored his first goal of the season, which stood as the game winner.
All-Star Barry Brust made his seventeenth appearance of the season, making 34 saves on 39 shots for just his sixth loss of the season. The Heat were outshot 39-18 in the contest.
The Heat power play did not score on two opportunities. The Heat penalty kill was perfect for the second game against the Checkers, erasing all four Heat minor penalties taken.
Heat Captain Quintin Laing and net-minder Barry Brust will now head to Providence, RI where they will represent the Abbotsford Heat and Western Conference in the 2013 AHL All-Star Classic in Providence, RI. The AHL Skills Competition goes on Sunday, while the AHL All-Star Game is set for a 4:00 PST puck drop on Monday night.
The Heat resume league play in Cleveland on January 31st where they'll face the Lake Erie Monsters (AHL affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche) twice and the Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings) once over a three-day stretch. For more information on the Heat call 1-877-452-HEAT(4328) or visit www.AbbotsfordHeat.com.
American Hockey League Stories from January 26, 2013
- Comeback Ends in OT Loss to Milwaukee - Peoria Rivermen
- Comeback Ends in OT Loss to Milwaukee - Peoria Rivermen
- Canadiens Recall Blunden from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rockford Drops Teeter-Totter Tilt - Rockford IceHogs
- Win Streak Ends with Nine-Round Shootout Loss - Lake Erie Monsters
- Houston Wins Second Straight at a Sold-Out Van Andel Arena - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Take Down IceCaps 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Top Peoria 3-2 in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Admirals Shut Down Sound Tigers for Third Straight Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Sellout Crowd Sees Texas Roll Past San Antonio 4-1 - Texas Stars
- Rampage Fall at Texas Stars, 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Bulldogs Edge Monsters 2-1 in a Shootout - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Whale Stay Hot in Return Home - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens Bring Down Bears in Shootout, 3-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Monarchs All-Star Struck - Manchester Monarchs
- Syracuse Drops St. John's 6-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Kuemper Leads Aeros over Griffins 1-0 - Houston Aeros
- Biggest Crowd of Season Watch Sharks Battle for Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Worcester Sharks
- Falcons One-Upped By Whale - Springfield Falcons
- Bears Fall in Shootout at Binghamton - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Shut out by Admirals 5-0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Busy Stretch of Games Concludes - Adirondack Phantoms
- Bruins Bite Sharks in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Marlies Fall to Penguins in Front of Sold out Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Penguins Enter Break with Win over Marlies - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Texas Stars Game Versus San Antonio Sold Out - Texas Stars
- Eddy & Estoclet Sent to Utah Grizzlies - Abbotsford Heat
- Big Crowd, Big Win - Albany Devils
- Cody Beach Reassigned to Evansville - Peoria Rivermen
- Heat Winning Streak Halted by Checkers at Five - Abbotsford Heat
- Rampage Recall from Loan Forward David Pacan - San Antonio Rampage
- Checkers Get Even with Heat - Charlotte Checkers
- Bears Recall Defenseman Patrick Wellar from Royals - Hershey Bears
- Hogs and Barons Tonight, Lang Released - Rockford IceHogs
- Bruins Faithful Vote Svedberg as Eastern Conference Starter - Providence Bruins
- Ottawa's Team 1200 Continues B-Sens Broadcast Coverage - Binghamton Senators
- Agozzino Named AHL All-Star Game Starter - Lake Erie Monsters
- Houston Aeros Send Defenseman Chris Reed To Cincinnati - Houston Aeros
- Starting lineups announced for 2013 AHL All-Star Game - AHL
- Arcobello named starter for 2013 AHL All Star Classic - Oklahoma City Barons
- Fans Vote Audy-Marchessault, Erixon As All-Star Starters - Springfield Falcons
- Niederreiter & Donovan Voted Into All-Star Game Starting Lineup - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Dallas Recalls Colton Sceviour to NHL - Texas Stars
- IceCaps agree to terms with Kael Mouillierat - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Connecticut, Game #42 - Springfield Falcons
- Rangers Recall Forward Benn Ferriero From Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Admirals Break Out of Slump in 8-2 Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Claim 2-1 Overtime Win Over Texas - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.