Bruins Fall to MonarchsJanuary 23, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Providence Bruins Press Release
Immediately after the initial puck drop, Bobby Robins and Anthony Stewart dropped the gloves, setting the tone for the rest of the teams' eighth contest of the season. Despite the energy from the fight, the Bruins failed to get a lift and struggled to find offensive momentum. Solid play from Michael Hutchinson, including a huge save on a Stefan Legein breakaway, kept the Monarchs off the board in the first period.
Manchester came out flying in the second period, but were almost too aggressive as they were charged with an early penalty. The Bruins went on their third power play of the game but could not break past Monarchs' goaltender Martin Jones. Shortly after the Bruins' power play, the Monarchs capitalized and Linden Vey found the back of the net for his 10th goal of the season. Less than a minute later Marc-Andre Cliché's wrist shot gave the Monarchs a 2-0 lead.
Despite outshooting the Monarchs 29-18 over the first two periods, the Bruins couldn't get past Jones in the third either as he continued to stonewall all of their attempts. Torey Krug provided the Bruins with one of their best opportunities of the night when the Bruins had their fifth power play. Jones came up with a glove save on Krug's late attempt to keep the Bruins off the board. Stewart sealed the deal for the Monarchs at 19:01, knocking in an empty net goal as the Monarchs skated away to a 3-0 victory over the Bruins.
Providence returns to The Dunk on Friday versus the Portland Pirates. The puck drops at 7:05 p.m. for Dunkin' Donuts Mug Night. The first 3,000 fans in attendance will receive a free Dunkin' Donuts travel mug. The P-Bruins' complete season schedule can be found on www.providencebruins.com.
Providence Bruins ticket packages are on sale now for the 2012-13 season. To purchase tickets of for more information, call the P-Bruins ticket office at 401@273@5000 or log on to the team website at www.providencebruins.com.
American Hockey League Stories from January 23, 2013
- Knuble Makes Griffins Debut in 5-4 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comeback in Connecticut - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monarchs Stay Hot in Cold Weather - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Extend Winning Streak To Six, Dispatch Devils - Springfield Falcons
- Whale Return Home with Overtime Victory - Connecticut Whale
- Strong Defense, Spread-Out Attack and Special Teams Lead Admirals to Victory Over Charlotte - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros Pick Up Road Win In Milwaukee, Sink Admirals 3-2 - Houston Aeros
- Penguins Win Fifth Straight With Shutout of IceCaps - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Downed by Falcons - Albany Devils
- Checkers Suffer First Loss to Norfolk - Charlotte Checkers
- Penguins shut out IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bruins Fall to Monarchs - Providence Bruins
- Flames Assign Roman Horak to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Simpson Reassigned To Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Jamie Tardif Added to All-Star Roster - Providence Bruins
- Frattin Added To All-Star Roster - Toronto Marlies
- Dumont Added to AHL All-Star Classic - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Meech added to AHL All-Star roster - St. John's IceCaps
- Brad Hunt Replaces Brett Sterling on AHL All-Star Team - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch defenseman Radko Gudas added to 2013 Dunkin' Donuts AHL All-Star Classic roster - Syracuse Crunch
- Emerson Etem Named to AHL Star Squad - Norfolk Admirals
- Roster changes announced for 2013 Dunkin' Donuts AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Griffins Sign Spady to Tryout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Tom Kostopoulos Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Canadiens Assign Blunden To Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Jake Allen Schools Wolves 2-0 - Peoria Rivermen
- Wolves wrap up first half on wrong side of whitewash - Chicago Wolves
- Hogs Raise $22,875 For Breast Cancer Research - Rockford IceHogs
- B-Sens Present Star Wars Night, Dollars For Scholars And More This Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Bulldogs Release Mike Commodore from PTO - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Albany, Game #40 - Springfield Falcons
- Couture Returning To Ontario Reign - Houston Aeros
- Danton Assigned to IceMen - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins Sign Mark Eaton to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Weekly - 2nd Half Begins - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.