Checkers Stun Aeros 2-1 in OvertimeJanuary 13, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Houston Aeros Press Release
Charlotte scored the lone goal in the first period, taking a 1-0 lead at 4:26. Matt Beca flipped a pass through center for winger Justin Shugg, creating a two-on-one breakaway. Shugg sauced a pass to Zac Dalpe, who beat Matt Hackett for his 13th goal of the season.
Houston charged back with a power-play goal early in the second period. Defenseman Tyler Cuma rifled a shot to the Checkers net that was knocked down by goalie John Muse. After Zack Phillips' rebound chance was blocked, Kris Foucault slipped the loose puck past Muse for his fifth goal of the year, tying the game 1-1.
After a scoreless third period of play, the two teams skated to overtime tied 1-1. The Checkers created a turnover at their own blueline and countered the Aeros attack. Winger Riley Nash carried the puck into the Houston zone and snapped a shot from the high slot, which beat Hackett with 34 seconds remaining in overtime, giving Charlotte a 2-1 victory.
Houston will embark on a five-game road trip, starting Saturday at 7 p.m. in Chicago against the Wolves. The team returns to Toyota Center after the All-Star break, hosting Texas on Friday, Feb. 1 at 7 p.m.
Aeros season tickets start as low as $9 per seat and may be purchased online at Aeros.com by placing a $100 deposit. Once your order is processed, an Aeros ticket representative will contact you to choose your exact seat location, as well as discuss the payment options. Information on season tickets and mini-plans is also available on the team website at www.aeros.com. Groups of 15 or more receive a discount on all tickets, to book your group outing to an Aeros game please call 713-974-PUCK (7825).
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2013
- Admirals Drop 3-2 Shoot-Out Decision to Peoria - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rivermen Complete Weekend Sweep - Peoria Rivermen
- Checkers Win Fifth Straight in Houston - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Stun Aeros 2-1 in Overtime - Houston Aeros
- Donovan's Late Goal Propels Sound Tigers to 5-4 Win over Devils - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Whale Starts Slow, Blanked by Bears - Connecticut Whale
- Team Shutout Helps Bears Sweep Weekend with Whale - Hershey Bears
- Oilers Summon Four Players from Oklahoma City - Oklahoma City Barons
- Campbell, Stars Shutout Oklahoma City 3-0 - Texas Stars
- Twelve Wolves Players Recalled by Vancouver - Chicago Wolves
- Devils Lose Late against Bridgeport - Albany Devils
- ManniNO-T Enough - Manchester Monarchs
- Sateri Stellar in Loss to Portland - Worcester Sharks
- Bruins Defeat Monarchs 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Invite 26 Players to Training Camp - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Snap Home Losing Streak with Gutsy Effort - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall to IceCaps 4-2 - Toronto Marlies
- 5 Phantoms Recalled by Philadelphia Flyers - Adirondack Phantoms
- Matt Gilroy Signs with Rangers - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton Bulldogs Sign Tyler Murovich to P.T.O. - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Houston Signs Defenseman Trevor Ludwig - Houston Aeros
- Lightning Add Four Players To Training Camp Roster - Syracuse Crunch
- Seven Admirals Head to Anaheim Ducks Training Camp - Norfolk Admirals
- Whale Announce Roster Moves - Connecticut Whale
- Kings Acquire Anthony Stewart - Manchester Monarchs
- Dallas Recalls Six from Texas - Texas Stars
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Defenseman Michael Del Zotto - Connecticut Whale
- Red Wings Recall Lashoff and Smith - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blackhawks Recall Seven from Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Blanked by Wolves in Front of Sellout Crowd - Abbotsford Heat
- Climie Shuts out Heat to Run Winning Streak to Three - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.