Donovan's Late Goal Propels Sound Tigers to 5-4 Win over DevilsJanuary 13, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers Press Release
The Sound Tigers went 3-for-5 on the power play in the game, and scored their first goal on the man-advantage 11:39 into the opening frame.
Aaron Ness and Jack Combs played give-and-go as Ness cut towards the net, and Ness backhanded a rebound past Albany goaltender Keith Kinkaid to give the Sound Tigers a 1-0 lead.
Albany responded with just 16.7 seconds remaining in the opening period to even the score. Brandon Burlon found Phil DeSimone unmarked in the slot, and the Devils forward fired over Kevin Poulin's glove for his second goal of the season to tie game 1-1 heading to the second period.
Nino Niederreiter scored his first of two goals in the game 3:38 into the second period to put Bridgeport back in front. Mike Halmo and Brock Nelson carried the puck in traffic through the slot in the Albany zone, and Niederreiter pounced on the loose puck and finished for his 18th goal of the season. Albany would respond once again at 9:53 of the second stanza, when Kelly Zajac deflected Bryan Haczyk's centering feed past Poulin to even the score at two.
The game remained tied heading to the third period before the Sound Tigers would build a two-goal advantage. Blair Riley scored his third goal of the season 2:17 into the final frame to retake the lead for Bridgeport, and Niederreiter fired a rebound on the power play past Kinkaid at 9:38 to give the Sound Tigers a 4-2 lead.
However, the Devils continued to battle and tied the score again with two goals in 92 seconds. Donovan and Ness were sent off for penalties to give Albany a 5-on-3 power play, and Joe Whitney scored from the slot to bring the Devils within a goal at 15:16. Albany tied the score at 16:48, when a turnover in the Bridgeport zone led to Chris McKelvie's first goal of the season.
But Albany's Matt Anderson was called for goaltender interference with 2:43 left in regulation, putting the Sound Tigers back on the power play.
Donovan took a pass from Chad Costello, held the puck in the high slot and sent a snap shot past Kinkaid with 1:16 left in regulation. Albany pulled Kinkaid in favor of the extra attacker, but Poulin and the Sound Tigers held on for the 5-4 win.
Poulin stopped 32 shots to earn his 11th victory of the season. Kinkaid stopped 24 shots in the loss.
The Sound Tigers return to action Wednesday night when they host the Binghamton Senators at Webster Bank Arena. Game time is slated for 7:00 p.m.
NOTES: Aaron Ness (1g/2a) and Chad Costello (0g/3a) each posted three points in the win ... The Sound Tigers power play had been 1-for-13 over the past four games ... Blair Riley has a goal in three of his last four games after going scoreless in his first 33 games ... Tonight's game was played at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J. one of four games Albany is playing in at Boardwalk Hall, in their parent club New Jersey Devils' home state.
1. BRI: Nino Niederreiter
2. BRI: Matt Donovan
3. ALB: Kelly Zajac
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2013
- Admirals Drop 3-2 Shoot-Out Decision to Peoria - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rivermen Complete Weekend Sweep - Peoria Rivermen
- Checkers Win Fifth Straight in Houston - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Stun Aeros 2-1 in Overtime - Houston Aeros
- Donovan's Late Goal Propels Sound Tigers to 5-4 Win over Devils - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Whale Starts Slow, Blanked by Bears - Connecticut Whale
- Team Shutout Helps Bears Sweep Weekend with Whale - Hershey Bears
- Oilers Summon Four Players from Oklahoma City - Oklahoma City Barons
- Campbell, Stars Shutout Oklahoma City 3-0 - Texas Stars
- Twelve Wolves Players Recalled by Vancouver - Chicago Wolves
- Devils Lose Late against Bridgeport - Albany Devils
- ManniNO-T Enough - Manchester Monarchs
- Sateri Stellar in Loss to Portland - Worcester Sharks
- Bruins Defeat Monarchs 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Invite 26 Players to Training Camp - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Snap Home Losing Streak with Gutsy Effort - St. John's IceCaps
- Marlies Fall to IceCaps 4-2 - Toronto Marlies
- 5 Phantoms Recalled by Philadelphia Flyers - Adirondack Phantoms
- Matt Gilroy Signs with Rangers - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton Bulldogs Sign Tyler Murovich to P.T.O. - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Houston Signs Defenseman Trevor Ludwig - Houston Aeros
- Lightning Add Four Players To Training Camp Roster - Syracuse Crunch
- Seven Admirals Head to Anaheim Ducks Training Camp - Norfolk Admirals
- Whale Announce Roster Moves - Connecticut Whale
- Kings Acquire Anthony Stewart - Manchester Monarchs
- Dallas Recalls Six from Texas - Texas Stars
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Defenseman Michael Del Zotto - Connecticut Whale
- Red Wings Recall Lashoff and Smith - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blackhawks Recall Seven from Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Blanked by Wolves in Front of Sellout Crowd - Abbotsford Heat
- Climie Shuts out Heat to Run Winning Streak to Three - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.