Bears Beat Sound Tigers in Overtime 4-3January 8, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The Sound Tigers got on the board just 3:39 into regulation. Nino Niederreiter carried the puck down beneath the left circle in the Hershey zone, then sent a centering feed towards the crease. Johan Sundstrom deflected Niederrieter's pass through Hershey goaltender Dany Sabourin for his 10th goal of the season, and the Sound Tigers had the early 1-0 lead.
However, Hershey responded with two quick goals late in the opening frame. Ryan Stoa jammed a loose puck past Sound Tigers goaltender Kevin Poulin at 13:20 to knot the score at one, and Kundratek sent a one-timer off of a faceoff win from Jon DiSalvatore for his first goal of the game just 45 seconds later to put the Bears ahead 2-1.
Bridgeport responded courtesy of its captain with 2:57 remaining in first period. Aaron Ness carried the puck deep along the left half-wall and sent a pass on net which Casey Cizikas redirected through the top of the crease. Colin McDonald grabbed the loose changed and sent the puck over the goal line for his sixth goal of the season to tie the score at two.
Neither side was able to score in the middle period, and the score remained deadlocked at two until Brandon DeFazio gave the home team the lead with 12:11 remaining in the third period. McDonald tipped a pass in the Sound Tigers zone past the Hershey defense, and chased the loose puck down to earn a partial breakaway. McDonald was denied by Sabourin on his first attempt, but got the puck behind the goal line in the right corner and sent a sharp-angle shot back into the crease. After a mad scramble in front, DeFazio was able the force the puck in for his seventh goal of the season and the Sound Tigers led 3-2.
Hershey would answer on the very next shift to tie the score at three just 32 seconds later. Jeff Taffe sent a pass through the Sound Tigers defense to Evan Barlow, and Barlow flipped a backhand shot over Poulin's glove to bring Hershey even.
Both sides had opportunities to score late in the third period and early in overtime, but Kundratek's aggressive play paid off in the final moments of the extra session. The Hershey defenseman pokechecked the puck free at the Hershey blue line, then raced to the puck in front of the Sound Tigers bench and avoided a Jon Landry check. Kundratek got to the puck in the Sound Tigers zone, deked to his backhand and slid the puck under Poulin's left pad to win the game for Hershey.
Sabourin made 35 saves to earn the win for the Bears, while Poulin stopped 24 shots in the overtime loss.
The Sound Tigers return to action Friday night when they travel to Providence to face the Bruins at the Dunkin' Donuts Center at 7:05 p.m.
NOTES: The Sound Tigers were 0-for-5 on the power play, while Hershey did not have a power play opportunity ... It was just the second time in Sound Tigers history the Sound Tigers did not give up any power play opportunities; the first time was Dec. 19, 2003 against the Worcester IceCats, a 3-2 win in Worcester ... Aaron Ness and Nathan McIver both left the game in the third period, and the Sound Tigers played with four defensemen for the remainder of the game ... David Ullstrom had eight shots on goal, the most from any player in one game this season ... Nino Niederreiter's assist gives him 34 points this season in 34 games played.
1. HER: Tomas Kundratek
2. BRI: Colin McDonald
3. HER: Dany Sabourin
American Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2013
- Bulldogs Drop Marlies 2-1 - Toronto Marlies
- Bears Beat Sound Tigers in Overtime 4-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs Skate by Marlies 2-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Kundratek Helps Bears Skate Past Sound Tigers in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Reid's Two Goals Not Enough in 7-3 Loss at Portland - Worcester Sharks
- Andrew Yogan Re-Joins Whale from Greenville - Connecticut Whale
- IceHogs Attendance up over 12-Percent Entering 2013 - Rockford IceHogs
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Griffins Surge into Rockford Before Hosting Rivermen - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Announce Details Of Big Y Card Night - Springfield Falcons
- Knight Returns to Providence - Providence Bruins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Tell Us Your Pink in the Rink-Spirational Story - Norfolk Admirals
- Crunch Partner with American Red Cross to Hold Annual Blood Drive - Syracuse Crunch
- Heat Recall Drew MacKenzie - Abbotsford Heat
- Chicago Makes Roster Moves - Chicago Wolves
- Saturday's Game vs Chicago Wolves Sold Out - Abbotsford Heat
- Beach, Barriball and Ponich Return to Peoria - Peoria Rivermen
- Hamilton Bulldogs Sign Joey Tenute to P.T.O. - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Save On Mobile Service Through Falconswireless.com - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Barons to Dedicate Habitat for Humanity Home on Thursday, January 10 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Marlies Recall Crescenzi, Devane, Owuya & Sign Grimshaw to PTO - Toronto Marlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.