Reid's Two Goals Not Enough in 7-3 Loss at PortlandJanuary 8, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) Worcester Sharks
Denny Urban scored his first AHL goal while James Sheppard and Jon Matsumoto each picked up two assists in the loss for Worcester. Brodie Reid scored his 6th and 7th goals of the season and Alex Stalock allowed seven goals on 39 shots as the Pirates scored the final five goals for the 7-3 win.
The Sharks came out flying in the first period and grabbed a 2-0 lead while outshooting the Pirates 14-2 through the first ten minutes. Denny Urban (1st) scored his first AHL goal with a 5-on-3 power strike at 5:31 with Jon Matsumoto and Matt Tennyson picking up the helpers. Physical play picked up as Frazer McLaren (6th FM) and Joel Rechlicz (7th FM) had a rockem-sockem brawl at 6:40 that brought the crowd to their feet. Brodie Reid (6th) gave the Sharks a 2-0 lead at 9:31 with a wicked shot from the right slot past the glove of Chad Johnson as Worcester was buzzing early. But the Pirates came back with a pair of goals as Alexandre Bolduc (17th) slammed home a centering feed by Chris Connor past Alex Stalock at 12:09 followed by a rebound power play marker by Brendan Shinnimin (5th) at 18:19 to tie the score at 2-2. Worcester outshot Portland 18-9 in the opening frame.
Brodie Reid (7th) gave the Sharks a 3-2 lead at 2:35 of the second period after he stuffed the puck through the pads of Chad Johnson after a nice feed by James Sheppard. The Pirates would score the next three goals to go ahead 5-3 to end the period. Rob Klinkhammer (10th) evened the score at 3-3 at 3:04 followed by a power play blast by defenseman Michael Stone (6th) at 8:39 to put Portland ahead 4-3. Brendan Shinnimin (7th) scored a breakaway shorthanded tally after he crashed into the net at 12:42 to give Portland the 5-3 lead through 40 minutes.
Chris Brown scored twice in the third period at 9:30 and 13:04 to put Worcester away as Portland outshot the Sharks 16-8 in the final frame.
The Sharks overall record falls to 18-13-1-2 (39pts in 34gp) and 11-8-0-1 on the road this season.
Notes: FIVE GUYS BURGERS Three Stars: 3rd star: Alexandre Bolduc (1-1-2) 2nd star: Chris Brown (2-0-2) 1st star: Brendan Shinnimin (2-0-2)... Final shots were 39-33 in favor of Portland... Chad Johnson made 30 saves on 33 shots for Portland... Alex Stalock made 32 saves on 39 shots for Worcester.... Worcester went 1-for-4 on the power play while Portland went 3-for-7... Danny Groulx (inj), Taylor Doherty (inj), Brandon Mashinter (inj), Jimmy Bonneau (scr), Tim Kennedy (inj), Matt Irwin (scr), and Sena Acolatse (inj), did not dress for Worcester... Worcester now has 43 fighting majors through 34 games... the two teams have combined for 29 fighting majors in 7 games this season... The Sharks fell to 29-31-9 all-time vs. Portland... Matt Pelech picked up his team leading 8th fighting major vs. Mark Louis in the second period....Brodie Reid had seven shots on goal for Worcester.
The Sharks return home to host the Northeast Division leaders the Springfield Falcons on $2-$2-$-2 Fridays with a 7:30pm start at the DCU Center!
Worcester will head to Albany on Saturday to square off against the Devils at 5pm.
The 5th annual High School Hockey Clash between the Hudson Hawks and the Marlboro Panthers will take place on Sunday, January 13 at 12pm before the Sharks host the Portland Pirates at 3pm. Doors open at 11:30am with one ticket to get you entry into both games! As always, kid's tickets are just $5 with the purchase of an adult ticket.
American Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2013
- Bulldogs Drop Marlies 2-1 - Toronto Marlies
- Bears Beat Sound Tigers in Overtime 4-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs Skate by Marlies 2-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Kundratek Helps Bears Skate Past Sound Tigers in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Reid's Two Goals Not Enough in 7-3 Loss at Portland - Worcester Sharks
- Andrew Yogan Re-Joins Whale from Greenville - Connecticut Whale
- IceHogs Attendance up over 12-Percent Entering 2013 - Rockford IceHogs
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Griffins Surge into Rockford Before Hosting Rivermen - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Announce Details Of Big Y Card Night - Springfield Falcons
- Knight Returns to Providence - Providence Bruins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Tell Us Your Pink in the Rink-Spirational Story - Norfolk Admirals
- Crunch Partner with American Red Cross to Hold Annual Blood Drive - Syracuse Crunch
- Heat Recall Drew MacKenzie - Abbotsford Heat
- Chicago Makes Roster Moves - Chicago Wolves
- Saturday's Game vs Chicago Wolves Sold Out - Abbotsford Heat
- Beach, Barriball and Ponich Return to Peoria - Peoria Rivermen
- Hamilton Bulldogs Sign Joey Tenute to P.T.O. - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Save On Mobile Service Through Falconswireless.com - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Barons to Dedicate Habitat for Humanity Home on Thursday, January 10 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Marlies Recall Crescenzi, Devane, Owuya & Sign Grimshaw to PTO - Toronto Marlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.