Americans Continue Their Winning Streak in Comeback Win over Rapid CityJanuary 5, 2013 - Central Hockey League (CHL) - Allen Americans Press Release
The Americans were the first to strike, scoring six minutes into the first period. Anthony Maiani netted his 10th goal of the season with help from the team's leader in assists (26), Tyler Ludwig, and newcomer defenseman Alec Martinez. This assist marked Martinez' first point with the team. Soon after the Americans took the lead, Rapid City tied the game, Jessie Shultz with his first of three on the night, to make it 1-1. Alec Martinez continued to make his presence known by scoring his first goal as an American at 14:08 in the first, to put Allen up 2-1. The game continued to go back and forth and Rapid City quickly answered with Jessie Shultz' second of the night to tie the game at 2-2. By the end of the first period, Allen was winning the battle of shots on goal 13-9.
At 3:36 in the second, Rapid City took a 3-2 lead on Jesse Schultz' third of the night, giving the Rapid forward a natural hat trick.
After a couple of major fighting penalties by both teams, including Garrett Clarke and Mike Berube, Rapid City scored on a power play to go up 4-2 at 17:28 in the second. Despite trailing at the conclusion of the period, the Americans still led in shots on goal 28-20.
Only 28 seconds into the 3rd period, the Americans scored to cut the deficit to one. Jason Deitsch was in front of the net to put the puck in after it slowly slid behind Rapid City goalie Danny Battochio. Tyler Ludwig and Brett Skinner earned assists on the power play goal. The Americans continued to build on their momentum and scored two goals within two minutes of each other in the second half of the period to take a 5-4 lead. With time running out at 13:53, Anthony Maiani scored his second of the night, to pull the Americans even 4-4, assisted by Darryl Bootland and Jarret Lukin. At 15:06, Jamie Schaafsma netted the game-winner on a spectacular tic-tac-toe play, the assists coming from Brian McMillin and Kip Brennan. The Americans would hold on for a thrilling 5-4 victory to move five points ahead of idle Wichita with four games in hand.
The Americans will take on the cross-town rivals, the Fort Worth Brahmas on Tuesday, January 8th at 7:00 PM at the NYTEX Sports Center.
The Americans will play again at home on Friday, January 11th at 7:05 PM against the Brahmas.
Central Hockey League Stories from January 5, 2013
- Americans Continue Their Winning Streak in Comeback Win over Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Cutthroats Fall to Mavericks in Marathon Finish, 2-1 - Denver Cutthroats
- Schultz' Hat Trick Not Enough in 5-4 Heartbreak Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Mavs Win Fourth Straight Game in Eight Round Shootout, 2-1 over Denver - Missouri Mavericks
- Brahmas Out-Duel Oilers at Convention Center - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Oilers End Texas Swing with 6-3 Defeat in Fort Worth - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Surge in the Third Not Enough - Arizona Sundogs
- Quick Start Leads Blaze Past Sundogs - Bloomington Blaze
- Mavericks Sign Defenseman Jesse Perrin, Waive Kyle Atkins - Missouri Mavericks
- Rush Acquire Sniper Nino Musitelli from Americans - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.