P-Bruins Sink Pirates Behind Whitfield Game-WinnerJanuary 4, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) Providence Bruins
After suffering a crushing 2-1 loss at the hands of the Pirates on Wednesday at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland, ME, the Bruins returned to a packed house in Providence with the intent of getting revenge, and more importantly, back in the win column. This was evident from the moment the puck dropped as the Bruins fed off the momentum of the crowd and came out flying in hopes of capturing the elusive opening goal.
Spooner and Bourque fulfilled their coach's request, connecting on a 2-on-1 rush 36 seconds after the opening face-off, beating Portland net minder Chad Johnson. The Bruins rush of momentum was short-lived as the Pirates struck back moments later, taking advantage of a Christian Hanson tripping minor, with Alexandre Bolduc receiving credit on his 15th goal of the season.
It was no surprise that the Bruins were eager to regain the momentum; however their plans were foiled, as the Pirates converted on their second power-play goal in as many attempts with Garnet Exelby sitting in the box. Brendan Shinnimin earned his fifth goal of the season, beating Niklas Svedberg at the 7:03 mark of the opening frame. Spooner and Bourque would hook up yet again, with Matt Bartkowski serving as the beneficiary, burying a loose rebound past a sprawled Johnson for his 2nd goal of the season.
The Dunk' faithful were treated to a heavy-weight bout between Bobby Robins and Mark Louis, concluding an eventful period that would come to an end with the 2-2 tie in tact.
The second period served as a goaltending clinic with both Johnson and Svedberg thwarting every goal scoring opportunity on either side of the ice. The Pirates and Bruins would head into the intermission dead-locked at two, setting up for a dramatic finish in the decisive third period.
The puck would drop on the final frame with both teams paying extreme attention to even the most minute of details, as any error could lead to the moment that would propel the opposition to ultimate glory in the showdown of Atlantic Division rivals.
Play would enter the final ten minutes of regulation with both goaltenders standing tall between the pipes for their teammates. The clubs exchanged goal-scoring opportunities, however It was becoming increasingly apparent that Svedberg was not willing to surrender the crucial game-winner.
It would be none other than captain Whitfield who would deliver the triumphant moment and send The Dunkin' Donuts crowd of 8932 into a frenzy. The game-winning goal would serve as Whitfield's first of the season. Svedberg thwarted a last-second flurry of Pirate chances and confirmed that the Bruins would earn a crucial two points in the Eastern Conference standings.
Svedberg, who improves to 13-6-0-1 on the 2012-13 AHL season, was credited with 31 saves en route to the victory. Johnson was stellar despite being handed his 7th loss of the season for the Pirates, stopping 27 of 30 Bruin chances.
The Bruins action continues at The Dunk' on Sunday, January 6th for a 3:05 p.m. matchup with the Springfield Falcons on "Stadium Cup Day". The first 1,000 fans 12 and under in attendance will receive a stadium cup courtesy of Cool Air Creations. The P-Bruins' complete season schedule can be found on www.providencebruins.com .
Providence Bruins ticket packages are on sale now for the 2012-13 season. To purchase tickets or for more information, call the P-Bruins ticket office at 401-273-5000 or log on to the team website at www.providencebruins.com .
American Hockey League Stories from January 4, 2013
- Rampage Stomp Peoria, 3-0 - San Antonio Rampage
- Markstrom Hand Rivermen 3-0 Loss - Peoria Rivermen
- Five-Goal Second Lifts Griffins Past Barons - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Hold Off Sound Tigers, Increase Division Lead - Springfield Falcons
- Bulldogs win 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Dogs Knock off Hogs 3-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Shut out by Crunch - Norfolk Admirals
- Goalies Shine as Texas Edges Houston 2-1 - Houston Aeros
- Whale beats Adirondack - Connecticut Whale
- Stars Clamp Down on Aeros 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Home Win Streak Ends with Shutout Loss - Lake Erie Monsters
- Crunch Shut out Admirals 3-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Snap Skid in Lake Erie - Charlotte Checkers
- B-Sens Celebrate 40 Years with a 3-1 Win over Penguins - Binghamton Senators
- Phantoms Sunk at Whale - Adirondack Phantoms
- Penguins Turned Back by Senators - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Lok'D in Win - Manchester Monarchs
- P-Bruins Sink Pirates Behind Whitfield Game-Winner - Providence Bruins
- Sound Tigers Fall to Falcons 5-4 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceCaps Outlasted by Monarchs - St. John's IceCaps
- Allstate Insurance to Offer Policy Reviews at Upcoming Syracuse Crunch Games - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Make Roster Moves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils, Albany Fire Department Hold Auction for Ronald McDonald House - Albany Devils
- McKelvie to Take Part in Fitness Challenge for Charity - Abbotsford Heat
- This Fall: AHL to Celebrate 25 Years in Glens Falls - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Bridgeport, Game #31 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Cage Wolves, 4-3 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.