8,226 Fans Watch Utah Beat Stockton 5-1December 31, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) - Utah Grizzlies
Utah extended their season-long unbeaten streak to six-straight games in the process at 3-0-1-2 and improved to 8-3-2-2 at home this season.
Riley Armstrong (13,14) broke open the scoring with two shorthanded goals in the second period as he scored on breakaways to give Utah a 2-0 lead. Armstrong assisted on a third period power-play goal to finish his three-point night and give Utah a 4-1 lead as Mitch Wahl tipped home his eighth goal of the season. "He was outstanding tonight," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley on Armstrong. "He was definitely our best player; him and Engelage. He's been playing real solid the last few weeks too. He's got the confidence going and he's just going out, playing hockey and loving it." Armstrong started his night with a fight 1:37 into the game and blocked a shot in the final minute of the second period and leaving the ice; before returning for the start of the third period.
Colin Vock (7,8) finished off the third period scoring with Utah's third shorthanded goal of the night and his second of the game 11:01 into the third period.
Utah goaltender Andrew Engelage improved to 7-3-1-0 by stopping 34 of 35 shots as he took a shutout to the third period.
Utah native and Los Angeles Kings forward Trevor Lewis extended his scoring streak to three-straight games with a power-play assist in the third. He narrowly missed a first period power-play goal on a great setup from Armstrong. Lewis now has one goal and three assists for four points in three games with Utah.
The Grizzlies are back at Maverik Center Wednesday at 7 p.m. to wrap up their season-long eight-game home stand. For Wild $2 Wednesday, there will be $2 Hot Dogs, $2 Fries, $2 Draft Beers, $2 Soft Drinks, $5 Student Tickets With ID. In addition, all tickets will be $13 to ring in 2013.
ECHL Stories from December 31, 2012
- Three shorthanded goals doom Thunder in New Year's Eve bout at Utah - Stockton Thunder
- 8,226 Fans Watch Utah Beat Stockton 5-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Glads End 2012 in Style, Win 3-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- K-Wings Ring In The New Year With Victory Over The Cyclones - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Rally to Beat Cyclones, 3-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Spoil New Years Eve for Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Jackals Stonewall Nailers - Elmira Jackals
- Weekly Warrior - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Transactions - December 31 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Get Verreault and Haines from Greenville for Nelson - Bakersfield Condors
- Road Warriors Deal for Condors' Leading Scorer - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Elmira Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- Thunder Weekly: Thunder Rings in New Year - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Acquire Campbell and Warkentin from Toledo - Bakersfield Condors
- Solar Bears close in on playoff spot as calendar changes - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Bulls Sign Former Sharks Fan Favorite Torrey Mitchell - San Francisco Bulls
- High-Scoring Forward Matt Beca Joins Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Countdown to Face-Off: 12/31 Kalamazoo vs Cincinnati - Kalamazoo Wings
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Weekly: Happy New Year from the South Carolina Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - December 31 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.