Cole's Late Tally Leads to Shootout WinNovember 23, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Peoria Rivermen Press Release
Cole's goal came with just 40.8 seconds remaining in regulation as the Rivermen withstood a three-goal third period from Milwaukee. His shot from just inside the blueline went between the legs of Jeremy Smith and made possible Peoria's fourth win in their last five games.
The Rivermen (6-8-2-1) have collected five of their six wins by a single goal and have already played nine one-goal contests in their first 16 games.
Peoria jumped out to a 2-0 lead with back-to-back goals in 26 seconds in the first. Jaden Schwartz scored for the second straight game by tracking down Cole's pass and racing around the Milwaukee defense for his fifth of the season. After Schwartz opened the scoring at 14:55, Sergey Andronov knocked one in at 15:21. He has also scored in consecutive games and has four on the season.
The Admirals scored the lone goal of the second period, at 6:25, when Michael Latta banked one into the net of the skate of a Rivermen defender. Milwaukee tied the game at 2-2 on Joonas Jarvinen's wraparound at 4:21 of the third.
Evgeny Grachev reclaimed the lead for Peoria at 6:57 with his third of the season. Anthony Peluso's shot was stopped and Grachev pushed the rebound past Smith during a goal-mouth scramble.
Milwaukee scored twice in 33 seconds to take their first lead of the game with 7:02 remaining in regulation. Mark Van Guilder and Austin Watson scored at 12:28 and 12:58 respectively to put Peoria on the verge of defeat.
Cole's goal, assisted by Mark Cundari and Peluso, was Peoria's first extra attacker goal of the season.
In the shootout, TJ Hensick and Jaden Schwartz scored for Peoria while McKenna did not allow a goal.
Peoria was outshot 30-27 and held Milwaukee to 0-for-4 on the power play.
The Rivermen host the first-place Grand Rapids Griffins on Saturday at 7:35 p.m. It's the annual Coats for Kids Drive and Teddy Bear Toss to benefit the Salvation Army. For more information visit www.rivermen.net.
American Hockey League Stories from November 23, 2012
- Heat Beat Stars 1-0 in Overtime - Abbotsford Heat
- Rampage Fall to Houston, 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Back to Back: Phantoms Prevail 2-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Outscored by Whale 7-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Cole's Late Tally Leads to Shootout Win - Peoria Rivermen
- Abbotsford Slips by Texas 1-0 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Tatar's Two Push Griffins Past Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Can't Snap Winless Streak - Lake Erie Monsters
- Crunch Edged by Senators 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Saad's Third Period Tally Lifts Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Fall in Shoot-Out to Peoria - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monarchs' Friday Gets Darker - Manchester Monarchs
- Whale defeat Sound Tigers - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons Battle Through Wild Second Period, Surrender in Overtime - Springfield Falcons
- Black Friday No Bargain for Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- B-Sens Extend Win Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Win over Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Hamilton Finds a Good Deal in Manchester on Black Friday - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Lose at Rochester - Albany Devils
- Fontaine Leads Houston Aeros to 2-1 Win in San Antonio - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Can't Complete Comeback in Glens Falls - Norfolk Admirals
- TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690, Sirius XM All to Broadcast Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flynn, Brennan Power Amerks to 5-2 Win over Devils - Rochester Americans
- Fans Invited to Grey Cup Viewing Party at Copps Coliseum Following Bulldogs Game Sunday - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins Recall Courtnall - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Take on Texas Twice Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sportsnet Adds More American Hockey League Action - AHL
- Falcons Players to Transform into Celebrity Servers Tuesday - Springfield Falcons
- SiriusXM NHL Network Radio Adds More American Hockey League Games to Schedule - AHL
- Amerks Ticket Discount Available on Specially Marked Pepsi Cans - Rochester Americans
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Portland, Game #15 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Sign Rod Pelley to PTO; Assign Gabe Guentzel to ECHL Fort Wayne - Norfolk Admirals
- Darcy Kuemper Reassigned to Orlando, Aeros Sign Goalie John Curry - Houston Aeros
- Falcons Sign Defenseman Cullity - Springfield Falcons
- Park and Ride Continues for this Weekend's Games - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.