Whale earn a 6-2 winNovember 10, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Connecticut Whale Press Release
The Whale also got goals from Logan Pyett, Tommy Grant and J.T. Miller, and Chris Kreider, Chad Kolarik and Matt Gilroy had two assists apiece. Cam Talbot made 21 saves. Sena Acolatse had a goal and an assist for the Sharks, and John McCarthy had two assists.
The Whale had never led in their previous two games, both losses to Springfield, but they jumped on top only 1:24 into Saturday's game, on Newbury's team-leading fifth goal of the season. After Kreider hustled hard to prevent an icing, the Sharks failed to get the puck out up the boards and it deflected to Newbury at the top of the circles. With both Thomas and Kreider screening Worcester goaltender Harri Sateri (19 saves), Newbury's snapshot got through on the glove side.
Connecticut then made it 2-0 on a power play at 14:40. Newbury worked the puck off the right-wing boards to Kolarik at the top of the circle, and Kolarik partially fanned on a one-timer attempt. The puck went off of Acolatse's skate, though, right to Thomas at the left side slot, and he had an open side of the net to bury the puck into.
The only goal of the second period came in a four-on-four situation at 10:19, and it was the second of the season for Pyett. After moving the puck out of his own zone, Pyett joined the rush and beat a check on the right-wing side, firing a shot that hit Sateri's catching glove and went in.
Acolatse ruined Talbot's shutout bid with a four-on-four goal 49 seconds into the third period, taking a pass from McCarthy and putting a high shot in on the short side, but the Whale got that one back on Thomas' second power-play score of the game at 3:22. Thomas one-timed a Kreider pass from the top of the slot through Sateri, with Kolarik screening.
Grant tied Newbury for the team goals lead with his fifth of the 1:55 later at 5:17, as Gilroy moved down the right-wing boards and found Grant with a centering feed, before Worcester cut the lead back to three on a Bracken Kearns goal at 15:51, off of a pass from behind the net by Acolatse.
The Sharks then pulled Sateri with just under four minutes left in a desperation attempt to get back in the game, but that backfired when Miller scored his second of the year into an empty net at 18:31.
The victory moved the Whale back to the .500 mark, at 5-5-1-0 for 11 points.
The Whale complete their first three-game weekend of the season Sunday at Bridgeport, taking on the Sound Tigers in a 3:00 PM game. The play-by-play of that battle can be heard live on "Beethoven Radio" AM 1290, and on-line at www.ctwhale.com.
The Whale's next home game is this Friday, November 16, when the Portland Pirates make their first visit of the season to the XL Center for a 7:00 game. At each and every Friday Whale home game this year, fans can enjoy $1 hot dogs and $2 beers until 8:00 PM. Tickets for that game, and all Whale regular season home games at the XL Center, are on sale now at the Public Power Ticket Office at the XL Center, through TicketMaster Charge-by-Phone at 1-800-745-3000 and on-line at www.ticketmaster.com.
American Hockey League Stories from November 10, 2012
- Rampage Home-Winning Streak Halted with 5-3 Loss to Toronto - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Win Streak Snapped by Rochester in 5-2 Loss - Syracuse Crunch
- Rockford Falls Flat against Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Another Shootout, Another Win for the Monsters - Lake Erie Monsters
- Three-Goal Third Does in Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Stars Earn Point in Wild 5-4 Shootout Loss - Texas Stars
- Admirals Top IceHogs, Get First Winning Streak - Milwaukee Admirals
- Griffins Extend Win Streak to Five Games with 5-3 Victory at Peoria - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Toronto Downs San Antonio 5-3 - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Nipped at Albany 2-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- B-Sens Return Home with a 4-2 Win over Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- Monarchs Mo Down Bruins - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Fend off Pirates for Shootout Victory - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Hold Tough in Gritty Win - Albany Devils
- Whale earn a 6-2 win - Connecticut Whale
- Sharks Five Game Point Streak Halted in 6-2 Loss to Whale - Worcester Sharks
- IceCaps Sneak by Bears - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Can't Overcome Early Deficit in Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
- Providence Falls to Manchester - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Deny Bears - St. John's IceCaps
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Hogs Look for 10 Straight against Admirals Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Reassign Austin Smith to Texas - Texas Stars
- Medical Update on Blake Geoffrion - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Heat Shutout Barons 4-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Toronto Downs Texas 3-0 - Toronto Marlies
- Admirals Explode for Seven Goals in Win - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.