Penguins WeeklyOctober 29, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
FRIDAY, October 26: PENGUINS 5, Americans 4 (OT)...
A seemingly comfortable two-goal lead with two minutes left in regulation turned into a tense 5-4 overtime win for the Penguins over the Americans at Mohegan Sun Arena.
After Eric Tangradi put Wilkes-Barre/Scranton ahead 4-2 at 4:33 of the third, Rochester struck twice with their net empty and an extra attacker to force the game past overtime. With 13.7 seconds left in OT, Paul Thompson capped off a three-point night (2g-1a) with the game-winning tally.
Brad Thiessen picked up his first win of the season with 30 saves on 34 shots.
SATURDAY, October 27: Penguins 4, CRUNCH 1...
Though they allowed the Crunch to jump ahead just 38 seconds in to the match, the Penguins went on to score four unanswered goals to take down Syracuse, 4-1, at the War Memorial at Oncenter,
Eric Tangradi recorded two markers for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, while Beau Bennett notched his first professional goal.
Jeff Zatkoff made 34 saves to gather his first win in a Penguins uniform.
SUNDAY, October 28: Penguins 2, BEARS 3...
An early third-period goal by Ryan Stoa proved to be the game-winner as Wilkes-Barre/Scranton could not catch up to Hershey in a 3-2 loss at GIANT Center.
Tangradi continued his hot weekend with his fourth goal in three games, pulling the Penguins within one with 5:26 left in regulation. Adam Payerl got Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on the board at 15:20 of the second with his first tally as a pro.
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 7:00 PM: Penguins @ MONARCHS ... 102.3 the Mountain, AHLLive.com
The Penguins and Monarchs begin their four-game seasons on Friday at Verizon Wireless Arena. Manchester has gone 5-1-0-0 to start the season and sit in first place in the Atlantic Division. The Monarchs have held opponents to just 11 goals so far this season, an average of 1.83 per game. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton went 3-0-0-1 versus Manchester last season.
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 4, 3:00 PM: Penguins @ SOUND TIGERS... 102.3 the Mountain, AHLLive.com
Bridgeport has dropped two of three - falling twice to Worcester - since defeating Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, 3-1, on Oct. 20 at Mohegan Sun Arena. Sunday's game will be just the third home game for the Sound Tigers after playing five of their six on the road. The Penguins have won five of their last seven meetings against the Sound Tigers.
PENGUINS TEAM LEADERS as of 10/29/12...
PLAYER GP G A PTS
Eric Tangradi 7 5 0 5
Beau Bennett 7 1 4 5
Benn Ferriero 7 0 5 5
Riley Holzapfel 7 2 2 4
Paul Thompson 7 2 2 2
GOALIE GP REC SO GAA SV%
Jeff Zatkoff 5 1-4-0 0 2.65 .894
Brad Thiessen 2 1-1-0 0 3.37 .875
EAST DIVISION STANDINGS as of 10/29/12...
TEAM GP W L OTL SOL PTS
1. Norfolk Admirals 6 5 1 0 0 10
2. Syracuse Crunch 7 4 1 1 1 10
3. Hershey Bears 7 3 3 1 0 7
4. Binghamton Senators 7 3 3 1 0 7
5. PENGUINS 7 2 5 0 0 4
- Eric Tangradi scored four goals over three games this past weekend. He leads the team with five goals.
- Paul Thompson tied a career-high with three points (2g-1a) on Friday versus Rochester. His pair of tallies included the game-winner with 13.7 seconds left in overtime.
- Warren Peters is one game away from his 500th as a pro.
- The Penguins five losses have been by combined total of seven goals.
- WBS has killed off 21 straight power plays going back to last Sunday's game against Syracuse.
PENGUINS RECENT TRANSACTIONS...
FOLLOW THE PENGUINS ONLINE...
Penguins fans can now download the WBS Penguins app for their iPhone or Droid. Stay up to date with the team's schedule, listen to game broadcasts live and interact with the Penguins during home games all with the team app.
American Hockey League Stories from October 29, 2012
- Admirals Weekly Notes - Milwaukee Admirals
- O'Hanley Returned on Loan to Cincinnati - San Antonio Rampage
- Hamilton Bulldogs Weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Checkers' Weekly Report - Charlotte Checkers
- Mrazek and Pearce Swap Places - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Bobblehead Election Is Saturday - Peoria Rivermen
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Anthony Nigro Recalled from Evansville - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Welcome Spiros Anastas to Coaching Staff - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Whale Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Charlotte's Dan Ellis Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Hogs Ride Four-Game Winning Streak - Rockford IceHogs
- The Rock Report: IceCaps Wrap up First Home Stand - St. John's IceCaps
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Pirates Weekly - Portland Pirates
- Barons to Swing Hammers with Habitat for Humanity Tomorrow - Oklahoma City Barons
- Hogs Roll over Rampage 3-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Take Down Penguins for Second Consecutive Win - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.