Whale Edge Bears in Friday Night VictoryOctober 26, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Hershey Bears
The Whale jumped out to a two-goal lead with strikes separated by just two minutes. Brandon Segal notched his fourth goal of the season when he freed himself in front of Dany Sabourin's goal crease and tapped a pass from Marek Hrivik into the net at 4:25.
The hosts were then attempting a dump-and-chase play but ended up on an odd-man rush after the puck eluded a BEARS defenseman just inside the visitors' blue line. Christian Thomas carried down the right wing and fed the slot for a driving Tommy Grant. Grant beat Sabourin up high at 6:25 and gave the Whale a 2-0 advantage at the intermission.
The BEARS earned two power play chances in the final minutes of the middle period but ran into an aggressive Connecticut penalty kill, and were unable to cash in. Talbot made his best save of the game on a point-blank one-timer from former Whale blueliner Tomas Kundratek to keep the BEARS off of the scoreboard.
Orlov finally got the BEARS on the board with 6:35 left to play. Mattias Sjogren and Kundratek combined to work the puck to the center point, where Orlov unleashed a slap shot that sailed over Talbot's glove.
The BEARS pulled Sabourin for an extra attacker, but with 1:15 left in regulation, Ryan Bourque chased down a clear from Matt Gilroy, raced in from center ice and hit the empty net to round out the scoring.
Sabourin made 26 saves on 28 shots in falling to 1-2-0 on the season. Talbot earned his first victory of the season in his first start in goal.
The BEARS finished the night 1-for-3 on the power play and 3-for-3 on the penalty kill.
The BEARS return home tomorrow, October 27 for a 7:00 PM faceoff against the Albany Devils. Tickets for this game and all HERSHEY BEARS home games are on sale at the GIANT Center box office, by calling (717) 508-BEAR, or online at TicketMaster.com.
American Hockey League Stories from October 26, 2012
- McElhinney Registers Second Shutout in Victory over Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Defeat Monsters 5-3 - Abbotsford Heat
- Toronto Downs Hamilton 5-4 in Overtime - Toronto Marlies
- Charlotte's Four Power Play Goals Spell Doom for Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Edge Bulldogs 5-4 in Overtime - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rivermen Offense Comes to Life in 4-1 Win - Peoria Rivermen
- Monsters Fall to Heat Despite Early Advantage - Lake Erie Monsters
- Wolves Fall 4-1 in Peoria - Chicago Wolves
- Whale win over Hershey - Connecticut Whale
- Pens Earn Dramatic OT Win over Americans - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Bite Sound Tigers 5-1 for First Win - Worcester Sharks
- Amerks Fall to Baby Pens Despite Another Late-Game Rally - Rochester Americans
- Devils Dominate Phantoms - Albany Devils
- Devils win 5-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- P-Bruins Fall to Falcons 3-0 - Providence Bruins
- Whale Edge Bears in Friday Night Victory - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Cap Comeback in Grand Rapids - Charlotte Checkers
- Sharks Defeat Sound Tigers 5-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Two Falcons Games in November to Air on SiriusXM NHL Network Radio - Springfield Falcons
- Bulldogs Games to Air Three Times on SiriusXM NHL Network Radio in November - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Barons Game November 10 to be Aired on Sportsnet One - Oklahoma City Barons
- American Hockey League, Hamilton Bulldogs Back on Sportsnet - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks November Schedule Highlighted by Five Friday Night Home Games - Rochester Americans
- SiriusXM NHL Network Radio Adds 38 AHL Games to Schedule - AHL
- Sportsnet Adds Four Games to AHL Broadcast Schedule - AHL
- Public Skate with the Checkers Set for November 3 at Extreme Ice Center - Charlotte Checkers
- Pirates Sell out Androscoggin Bank ColisÃ©e for October 27th - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Defensemen Madaisky, Weber Reassigned to Evansville - Springfield Falcons
- Defenseman Chris Wideman Reassigned to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks to Hold Food Drive During Upcoming Home Games to Benefit Foodlink - Rochester Americans
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Providence, Game #5 - Springfield Falcons
- IceCaps, Statoil Announce Partnership - St. John's IceCaps
- Hutton Hoists Hogs to 2-1 Shootout Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Defeated 2-1 in Shootout against IceHogs - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.