Stars Defeat Storm in Six-Round ShootoutOctober 12, 2012 - United States Hockey League (USHL) Tri-City Storm
Lappin's goals came just 25 seconds apart at 5:38 and 6:03 of the first period, giving the Storm an early 2-0 lead, but Lincoln responded with two goals of their own in the second and prevailed in a shootout.
Tri-City's first strike came on the power play when Trevor Moore found space to unleash a shot that was initially saved by Stars' goaltender Jackson Teichroeb. The rebound, however came right to Lappin and he quickly put the puck into the open net for his first goal of the season.
The Storm added to the lead when Tim Bonner found Lappin alone at the Lincoln blue line while the Stars were making a line change. Lappin skated in alone and beat Teichroeb to make it 2-0.
Lincoln got on the board 8:03 into the second when Zach Frye beat Tri-City goaltender Christian Frey with a slapshot from the right point. The Stars then got even just over nine minutes later when Will Suter beat Frey with a wrist shot from the top of the left cirlcle.
After a scoreless third period and five minutes of overtime, the game headed to a shootout. Lincoln's Brent Wold was the first shooter to convert on an opportunity in the sixth round, giving Lincoln the win and two points.
The Storm and Stars will do battle once again in the tail end of the home-and-home series at the Viaero Events Center in Kearney Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. Saturday is Pink in the Rink night at the Viaero Events Center. The ice will be painted pink and the Storm will don special pink uniforms in support of breast cancer awareness.
United States Hockey League Stories from October 12, 2012
- Stars Defeat Storm in Six-Round Shootout - Tri-City Storm
- Phantoms Falter against Fighting Saints - Youngstown Phantoms
- Hawks Swoop Past Gamblers - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stampede Top Indiana for Third Straight Win - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Ice fall to Stampede - Indiana Ice
- Ellis Backstops Des Moines to 6-2 Victory over Lancers - Omaha Lancers
- Fast Start Earns Fighting Saints Victory at Youngstown - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Tonight's Game vs Waterloo Will be Shown Live at Screamin' Head Buzz - Green Bay Gamblers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.