Wolves Dump IceHogs 6-1 in Preseason ShowdownOctober 3, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Chicago Wolves
Forwards Brett Sterling, Steven Anthony, Darren Archibald, Andrew Gordon and defensemen Patrick Mullen and Yann Sauve lit the lamp for the Wolves. Mullen and blueliner Derek Joslin dished out two assists apiece.
Chicago (1-0-0-1) opened its offensive explosion with three goals in a 72-second span early in the first period. Sterling bagged the game's opening goal on the power play at 6:33. Mullen stripped the puck at center ice and sent Sterling in on a breakaway and he beat Rockford goaltender Alec Richards.
Anthony doubled the Wolves lead 28 seconds later when he redirected a Nathan Lonpgre shot from the near circle over Richards' blocker.
Archibald closed out the scoring fury when he scooped up a rebound at the side of the goal and backhanded the puck into an empty net at 7:45 of the opening frame.
The Wolves opened a 4-0 lead while on a five-on-three advantage at 11:56. Joslin slipped a pass in the high slot to Mullen, who stepped into a wrister that beat Richards.
Gordon tallied the Wolves fifth goal when he tucked home a Mullen shot that hit off the post as Richards was unable to corral the rebound in the crease at 7:18 of the second period.
Richards (0-1-0) stopped 16 of 21 shots in 29:22 of action before giving way to Kent Simpson, who posted 8 saves.
Rockford (0-1-0-0) notched its only goal 1:31 into the third period when an errant clearing attempt by goaltender Matt Climie found the stick of left wing Kyle Beach, who tapped home the puck into an empty net.
Climie kicked out 13 shots in 30:38 of relief duty after replacing Chicago starter Eddie Lack. Lack (1-0-0) thwarted all 9 shots he faced.
Sauve closed out scoring when his shot from the near circle got through traffic past Simpson at 7:53 of the final frame.
The Wolves play their final home game of the preseason at 7 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 5, when they host the Peoria Rivermen at the Triphahn Center and Ice Arena in Hoffman Estates.
American Hockey League Stories from October 3, 2012
- Texas Stars Take Down Houston Aeros 7-2 - Texas Stars
- Falcons Begin Preseason, Drop Opener to Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Amerks Drop Preseason Opener to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, 4-3 - Rochester Americans
- Hamilton Bulldogs Release 14 from Training Camp - Hamilton Bulldogs
- B-Sens Open Pre-Season with Shootout Victory over Bears - Binghamton Senators
- Whale Fall in Preseason Opener - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Dump IceHogs 6-1 in Preseason Showdown - Chicago Wolves
- Senators Top Bears in Shootout in Pre-Season Opener - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Defeat Americans, 4-3, in First Tilt of Preseason - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Clip Falcons in Preseason Opener - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Sign Jay Rosehill to PTO - Norfolk Admirals
- Wolves Release Eleven - Chicago Wolves
- ESPN 730 to Carry All Checkers Games in 2012-13 - Charlotte Checkers
- P-Bruins Add MacDermid and Bourque - Providence Bruins
- Tessier Eager to Start New Season - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons 2012-2013 Preseason Preview - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.