P-Bruins Add MacDermid and BourqueOctober 3, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Providence Bruins
MacDermid appeared in five games with Boston during the 2011-12 season, making his NHL debut on March 4 at the New York Rangers, where he earned his first NHL fighting major. The 22-year-old spent the majority of the season in Providence, recording four goals, 12 assists and 121 penalty minutes in 69 AHL games.
In 2010-11, the 6'3", 205-pound forward registered 7-1219 totals with 158 penalty minutes in a team-high 78 games with Providence. His 158 penalty minutes ranked third on the team. In his first professional season in 2009-10, MacDermid skated in 65 games for Providence, tallying two goals and three assists. He led the team with 155 penalty minutes, including 21 fighting majors, which ranked second among all AHL rookies.
MacDermid was selected by Boston in the fourth round (112th overall) of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. Prior to being drafted, the Sauble Beach, Ontario native spent three seasons of junior hockey in the Ontario Hockey League with Owen Sound and Windsor, accumulating 52 fighting majors and capturing a Memorial Cup in 2009 as a member of the Spitfires. His father, Paul MacDermid, is a veteran of 690 NHL games with the Hartford Whalers, Winnipeg Jets, Washington Capitals and Quebec Nordiques.
Bourque was acquired by the Bruins from the Washington Capitals on May 26, 2012 for forward Zach Hamill. The 26-year-old native of Boston, MA has skated in 33 career NHL games with Washington and Pittsburgh and notched one goal and three assists. This past season, he appeared in 73 regular season games for the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL), and led the league in scoring after compiling 27-6693 totals with 42 penalty minutes. In five playoff games, he tallied one goal and three assists.
The 5'8", 180-pound left wing was originally drafted by the Capitals in the second round (33rd overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.
He is the son of Ray Bourque, the Boston Bruins Hall-of-Famer who own records for most goals, assists and points by a defenseman in the National Hockey League. Ray Bourque is also currently the Bruins all-time career leader is games played, assists, and points.
The Providence Bruins' Opening Night is on Friday, October 12 at 7:05 p.m. versus the Manchester Monarchs for Dunkin' Donuts Thundersticks Night. The P-Bruins' complete season schedule can be found on www.providencebruins.com.
Providence Bruins ticket packages are on sale now for the 2012-13 season. To purchase tickets or for more information, call the P-Bruins ticket office at 401-273-5000 or log on to the team website at www.providencebruins.com.
American Hockey League Stories from October 3, 2012
- Texas Stars Take Down Houston Aeros 7-2 - Texas Stars
- Falcons Begin Preseason, Drop Opener to Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Amerks Drop Preseason Opener to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, 4-3 - Rochester Americans
- Hamilton Bulldogs Release 14 from Training Camp - Hamilton Bulldogs
- B-Sens Open Pre-Season with Shootout Victory over Bears - Binghamton Senators
- Whale Fall in Preseason Opener - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Dump IceHogs 6-1 in Preseason Showdown - Chicago Wolves
- Senators Top Bears in Shootout in Pre-Season Opener - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Defeat Americans, 4-3, in First Tilt of Preseason - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Clip Falcons in Preseason Opener - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Sign Jay Rosehill to PTO - Norfolk Admirals
- Wolves Release Eleven - Chicago Wolves
- ESPN 730 to Carry All Checkers Games in 2012-13 - Charlotte Checkers
- P-Bruins Add MacDermid and Bourque - Providence Bruins
- Tessier Eager to Start New Season - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons 2012-2013 Preseason Preview - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.