Galaxy clinch MLS Cup Playoff spotSeptember 22, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Los Angeles Galaxy
A playoff berth on the line, the Galaxy controlled wide stretches of the match, dominating TFC in both possession and scoring chances. Due to their victory and the Seattle Sounders' 2-1 loss to the San Jose Earthquakes, the Galaxy are currently tied with Real Salt Lake for second place in the Western Conference. However, the Galaxy hold the total goals scored tiebreaker and would be in second if the season ended today.
With more than a month left in the season, the Galaxy can finish no lower than fifth in the West, but are currently jockeying for position among the West's top three with Seattle, RSL and the San Jose Earthquakes.
Major League Soccer Stories from September 22, 2012
- MLS Cup Playoff Race Update: Real Salt Lake and La Galaxy Clinch Berths - MLS
- Galaxy clinch MLS Cup Playoff spot - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Tops Timbers 2-1 - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Burn Columbus Crew 2-1 in Comeback Victory - Chicago Fire
- RSL Chops Down Portland Timbers FC, 2-1, Before Sellout Crowd - Real Salt Lake
- Red Bulls Earn 1-1 Road Tie against New England Revolution - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Unbeaten Streak Reaches Eight with 0-0 Draw at Montreal - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo Face Philadelphia on Sunday in Key, Late-Season Road Match - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.