Sparks Clinch Second Place, Earn Home Court Advantage in First Round of PlayoffsSeptember 19, 2012 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) Los Angeles Sparks
With the win, the Sparks (23-10 overall) earn home court advantage for the first round of the 2012 WNBA Playoffs, and will host the San Antonio Silver Stars (19-12 overall) at a date and time to be determined.
The first round (Western Conference Semifinals) and the Western Conference Finals are both best-of-three series. The WNBA Finals is a best-of-five game series.
The Sparks are 1-3 against the Silver Stars this season, having lost three games to San Antonio prior to the Olympic break. After the break, the Sparks beat the Silver Stars 101-77 on August 23 at STAPLES Center.
In 2008, the last time the Sparks and Silver Stars met in the playoffs, San Antonio had homecourt advantage in the Western Conference Finals, and took the series 2-1 after losing the first game to the Sparks.
Tickets for the first round of the Playoffs will go on sale on Thursday, September 20 at 10:00AM Pacific. Fans can call 800.745.3000 or visit LASparks.com to purchase playoff tickets.
Los Angeles remains at home to close out the season on Thursday when they host the defending champion Minnesota Lynx at 7:30PM at STAPLES Center.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
• Digg this story
• Add to Del.icio.us
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 19, 2012
- Connecticut Sun Unveils All-Decade Team - Connecticut Sun
- Sparks First Round Playoff Dates Announced, Game One September 27 at Galen Center - Los Angeles Sparks
- January and Zellous to Miss Remainder of Road Trip - Indiana Fever
- Chicago Sky Point Guard Ticha Penicheiro to Retire After Celebrated 15-Year WNBA Career - Chicago Sky
- Sparks Clinch Second Place, Earn Home Court Advantage in First Round of Playoffs - Los Angeles Sparks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.