Royals Topple Giants in ShootoutSeptember 15, 2012 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Victoria Royals
The Giants hit the scoresheet early as Jackson Houck buried a loose puck at 5:04 of the first period. At the 12:53 mark, Austin Carroll tied the game with an unassisted strike when he corralled a loose puck at the bottom of the left face-off circle and snapped it through the legs of Liston. Just 23 seconds after Carroll's goal, the Giants retook the lead on Marek Tvrdon's first goal of the pre-season. The Giants would skate into the first intermission with the one-goal advantage.
Vancouver added to their lead 6:36 into the middle frame when Brett Kulak was credited with the Giants' third goal. With the Royals on the powerplay, Ben Walker jammed home his second of the pre-season at the side of the net after a pretty passing play that saw Brandon Magee and Keegan Kanzig record assists just after the midway point of the game. Coleman Vollrath then took over in goal for Rathjen. Brandon Magee entered the zone at the 14:22 mark and wristed a shot on net that eluded the Giants' goalie. Brandon Fushimi and Austin Carroll registered assists on Magee's game-tying marker. At the 17:16 mark of the second period, Joe Hicketts fired a slap shot from the point on target before Luke Harrison banged in the rebound to give the Royals a 4-3 lead. Tim Traber recorded the other assist on Harrison's powerplay tally and Victoria held the one-goal edge after 40 minutes of play.
Only one goal would be scored in the final period as Vancouver's Cain Franson tied the game on the powerplay at 8:36. Vollrath turned aside the remainder of the Giants' chances in the period and the game headed to overtime.
Each team had quality scoring chances in the extra frame, but no victor would be found and a shootout would ensue. The shootout went into the 11th round with the teams tied at two goals apiece. Vollrath got a piece of Brett Kulak's attempt to give Brett Cote the opportunity to win the game for the Royals. Cote went from his forehand to his backhand before flipping it over the sprawling Liston. Victoria 5 Vancouver 4 in a shootout.
Victoria went 2/3 66.6% on the powerplay, while Vancouver was 1/6 16.6%. The Giants outshot the Royals 45-16.
The Royals will make their 2012 WHL Pre-Season debut at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre tomorrow, Saturday, September 15th against the Giants in the team's final test before the regular season.
The Royals will kick off their 2012-13 home schedule on September 22nd when they will host the Vancouver Giants at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre. Season tickets and mini-packs are now on sale. Guarantee yourself the best seats by visiting www.victoriaroyals.com, calling 250-220-7889, or emailing email@example.com before it's too late!
Western Hockey League Stories from September 15, 2012
- Royals Take Down Giants - Victoria Royals
- Giants Close, But No Cigar Once Again in Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- Royals Trade for Alex Gogolev - Victoria Royals
- Tips Trade Hand to Regina, Re-Assign Zipp - Everett Silvertips
- Pats Swing Deal with Silvertips - Regina Pats
- Preseason, Food Drive Conclude Tonight - Everett Silvertips
- Blazers Rolling; Terry Fox Run - Kamloops Blazers
- Regina Pats Gameday Preview - Regina Pats
- Giants Dominant vs Victoria But Fall Short in a Shootout - Vancouver Giants
- Royals Topple Giants in Shootout - Victoria Royals
- T-Birds Blank Tips in Preseason Game - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Oil Kings Take 2-1 OT Win to Finish Pre-Season - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Americans Lose 4-2 to Chiefs in Final Home Pre-Season Game - Tri-City Americans
- Blazers Win 4-3 in Shootout over Cougars - Kamloops Blazers
- Silvertips Drop to 3-3 in Preseason Play - Everett Silvertips
- Chiefs Close Pre-Season with 5th Straight Win - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.