Bonifacio, Baez Receive Royals AwardsAugust 31, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Kane County Cougars
A majority of the players are expected to be at Kauffman Stadium for Futures Night on Friday, September 14, where they will take part in an autograph session as well as be honored in an on-field presentation prior to the Royals game against the Angels that evening.
Baez is 6-5 with a 3.17 ERA in 16 games (15 starts) with the Cougars, striking out 83 in 76.2 innings. Baez, a resident of Juan Baron, Dominican Republic, was acquired as a non-drafted free agent on July 21, 2008.
Bonifacio, a Midwest League All-Star this season, will make his third-consecutive trip to Kansas City after being named the 2010 Dominican Royals Player of the Year and the 2011 Burlington Royals Player of the Year. The younger brother of Marlins outfielder Emilio Bonifacio, he is batting .282 with 20 doubles, six triples, 10 home runs, 61 RBI and 54 runs scored in 105 games for the Cougars. Born and raised in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Bonifacio was signed by the Royals as a non-drafted free agent on December 9, 2009.
Pitcher Yordano Ventura ('11 Cougar) was named Wilmington Pitcher of the Year
ROSTER MOVE: The Kane County Cougars, in conjunction with the Kansas City Royals, have announced that pitcher Andrew Stueve has joined the Cougars from Idaho Falls (Rookie Advanced). Stueve will join the team in Davenport, Iowa as the Cougars conclude a three-game series in eastern Iowa this evening against the Quad Cities River Bandits. First pitch is set for 7 p.m. Entering play this evening, the Cougars trail Burlington by 3 games with 4 games remaining, for the Western Division 2nd half wild card spot.
Stueve (Non-drafted free agent, 2011) was part of the Cougars' Opening Day roster this spring, and pitched in 7 games - all relief appearances. Stueve has pitched for four Royals' affiliates this season: Wilmington, Kane County, Idaho Falls and Burlington.
Today's roster move brings the Cougars to the Midwest League maximum of 25 active players.
Midwest League Stories from August 31, 2012
- Snappers sweep Wisconsin at home - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- River Bandits Still Alive After 8-2 Win in Home Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- LumberKings Win Franchise-Best 45 in Half - Clinton LumberKings
- Captains Capture 2nd Half Playoff Berth - Lake County Captains
- Hawks Edged in Home Finale, 5-4 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Cougars Swept in Quad Cities, Elimination Number Down to One - Kane County Cougars
- Silva Sends Dragons Fans Home Happy - Great Lakes Loons
- Caps Blanked, Knocked Out Of Playoff Chase - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Votto Returns; Silva's Double Wins It for Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Syndergaard shines in 5-4 Lugnuts win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Quad Cities River Bandits Set Attendance Record - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Clinch Playoff Berth with 7-0 Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Argo Has Two Hits, Hot Rods Swept by Captains - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs and Kernels Rained out Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Castillo Activated, Goeddel to the D.L. - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bonifacio, Baez Receive Royals Awards - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods, Rays to Extend Player Development Contract - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels Home Stand Preview: September 1-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Alex Yarbrough Promoted to Arkansas - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Joey Votto Scheduled to Play for Dragons Tonight - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels beat Peoria, 11-7, in extra innings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hawks Snap Skid with 9-3 Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.