John Ely Named PCL Pitcher of the YearAugust 29, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Albuquerque Isotopes
While working half his games in one of the toughest pitcher's ballparks in baseball, Ely has been magnificent, setting a franchise-record with 14 wins as well as a new team mark for home victories with nine. Currently tied for the PCL lead in wins, Ely has a chance to become the first pitcher since Donne Wall in 1995 to win the league's pitching Triple Crown. The "Topes ace is first in the circuit with a 3.20 ERA while pacing the circuit in strikeouts with 165, 14 punch-outs more than his closest competitor. Ely also ranks among league leaders in innings-pitched (168.2 - 1st), WHIP (1.10 - 1st), average against (.238 - 3rd), lowest walk / 9.0 inning ratio (1.92 - 3rd), and fewest baserunners / 9.0 inning ratio (10.14 - 1st).
From July 23 to August 18, Ely became the first pitcher in franchise history to win six consecutive starts, posting a 1.96 ERA in that span. Of his 27 total starts this season, 18 have been quality starts, including a stretch of six straight quality appearances from April 30 to May 26. In the first game of a doubleheader vs. Tucson on August 8, Ely became the first and so far only Isotope this year to author a complete game shutout when he tossed 7.0 scoreless innings, allowing just six hits and a walk while fanning eight in a 4-0 Isotopes win. On May 10, the right-hander set a career-high with 11 strikeouts, shattering his previous high of nine.
It's been a season of accolades for Ely, who was selected to pitch for the Pacific Coast League squad in the Triple-A All-Star Game in Buffalo and was named to the All-PCL Team on Monday.
The Pacific Coast League season-ending accolades continue with the Most Valuable Player announcement on Thursday before the circuit's Manager of the Year is named on Friday.
The Isotopes are back home this Friday for the last four game series of the 2012 regular season. In addition to a pivotal series against the Omaha Storm Chasers, the set includes Fan Appreciation Weekend, featuring three straight fireworks extravaganzas. As if that weren't enough, the "Topes will also be giving away grab bags full of awesome Isotopes giveaways! Tickets for any Isotopes game may be purchased at the Isotopes Park Box Office, at Ticketmaster outlets, by phone at 1-800-745-3000, or on-line at www.abqisotopes.com or www.ticketmaster.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 29, 2012
- 'Topes Routed by RedHawks, 11-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Rout Isotopes, 11-0 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sacramento Steals 4-3 Win with 9th Inning Rally - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Omaha Slugs Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
- Omaha Bounces Back to Beat Memphis - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express Cruise Past New Orleans 10-6 - Round Rock Express
- River Cats Clinch Record Sixth-Straight Division Crown - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Blank I-Cubs for Fourth Straight Victory - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. New Orleans Zephyrs - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: August 29, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- RedHawks, Hertz to Honor Reverend Bill Greason Tomorrow - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- John Ely Named PCL Pitcher of the Year - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Ely Earns 2012 PCL Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Aces Foundation, JAKKS Pacific to Donate 15,000 Toys to Northern Nevada Children - Reno Aces
- Sounds to Welcome Goodlettsville Little League U.S. Champions to Greer Saturday - Nashville Sounds
- Isotopes hampered by 'Hawks - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Fresno Hands Aces 4-3 Loss in 12 Innings - Reno Aces
- Tucson wins victory - Tucson Padres
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.